Ported Saws... Lets see your work fellas

jasent

Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
I'll let u know the oem numbers when I get the saw... I paid for it 3 weeks ago tomorrow... so it better come soon...wouldn't more tq be lower on the exhaust number near 100? Just finished this 205 with a 225 p and c i ported
Higher exhaust timing is more torque and lower is more speed typically

High exhaust roof is lower timing numbers

Nutball

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
.wouldn't more tq be lower on the exhaust number near 100?
It depends on the design, and where you want your torque in the rpm range. Ideal timing numbers are not copy and paste across various engines especially when it comes to different displacements, at least when the job at hand is cutting wood with common bars, chains, sprockets.

Fabz

Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
I’d concentrate on a getting the highest BMEP possible before I even take a file to the barrel

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
That’s fine if your competition is yourself, but if ya wanna get off the porch and run like the big dogs ( or cats 🐈 n this instance) knowing the engines bmep is critical! Ask Ol Bird legs about it - he knows everything 😂 701631D2-8CE9-452C-AAFB-1D2203481E48.jpeg

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to try and get a little more out of my 036/044 hybrid so I went back in and changed the port timing last night.

New numbers
EX 105
TR 122
IN 80

KIMG2730.JPG KIMG2731.JPG KIMG2728.JPG KIMG2729.JPG

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
... Hotwoods 660 ... That saw will spank the a new stock 592xp no problem and “some” builders ported 592xp ... Got Torque ???

Last edited:

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
Hard maple in the USA is no joke, that stuff is unusually hard to cut. Oak is like speedy soft wood in comparison. 23 seconds in 28" hard maple is not bad, but lets see the side by side run with the 592 to see how far off it is stock with the same chain. Dyno Joe says they do about 8.8hp stock, 5.45ft/lbs, so they are no joke stock. You never know, a muffler modded 592 might end up pretty close to that 660 if not better with the new tech stock porting they use. I have a 550 mkII that only has a muffler mod because it is already that good, not that there isn't an extra .5hp left over if it was ported, but it runs a 24" well enough for my needs.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
I’m using an off-the-roll chain on this test run ... A good square-ground will net 10-12% faster cut-cut. E8C5E63B-6964-4C0B-AC85-E5975AD14EB8.jpeg The base gasket is stock so installing a thinner base gasket and tightening the squish to .023 is going to p/u some torque/hp for sure (maybe .5-.8hp). Fabricating a tuned-tube exhaust instead of the deflector style that’s on there now will also net some gains. If I used a sqr/sqr chain , .023 squish and a different tuned tube exhaust it “woodnt” be a stretch to claim 20sec thru that timber, If that was BC or PNW timber (FIR log)where the trees are made of cheese heck she’d probably go thru 1.5-2x as quickly 😉. Dyno Joe rated the 660 at 7.1hp and the 592xp at 8.8hp so I’m down 1.7hp from jump street. IF that 660 was Mtronic or autotune it wood STOMP a stock 592xp something fierce! Unfortunately I do not have a 592xp In my hands but I do have a ported 395xp to compare and it’s a wash. Imho it will be difficult to coax as much power from the 592xp as they are relatively “hot out of the box” and the easy to be had gains may not be available. Imho A muffler mod isn’t going to get you as much gains on these new stratos saws and as far as intake/filter goes Husqvarner really has that down - so much so that it’s really not worth to mess with it Other than carb work

Last edited:

jasent

Local time
Reaction score
I’d love to hear some tips on doing a 660. One saw I have the least experience with. Stock numbers seem strange to me. High exhaust roof and long intake already. Seem pretty different from the 90cc saws I’ve worked with. My 660 builds have tons of torque but just don’t seem to get the speed I want. Should I raise exhaust a bit more. At 97 now

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
Do you know your peak power rpm and peak torque rpm in the cut? I don't care about max no load rpm in my saws. What's your intake at?

I'm going to do some research on the 660 and 064 this winter to see if I can figure out what makes the 064 so good as far at the cylinder goes. I will try to get similar performance from some cheap aftermarket cylinders if I am able to get the ports sized and shaped how I want, and it's looking like I should be able to much better than on a farmertec cylinder.

jasent

Local time
Reaction score
Intake is at 80. Hyway cylinder with pop up

Checked all my cylinders with this case and crank. All were 98 on exhaust and 80-81 on intake. Will have to check my notes on the blow down

So far all I’ve done was polish and widen exhaust port and transfer shaping how I like.

Have not run it with the tach

Last edited: