Ported Saws... Lets see your work fellas

Ronie

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
The Farmertec cylinder I posted earlier in the thread. It runs pretty good but on the next after market cylinder I've got for it I'm going to leave the exhaust a couple of degrees lower, looking for more torque, then I'll decide on how I want to do the OEM one.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
I really don’t think the 500i is that strong of a saw when compared to previous offerings and seems to guzzle fuel like a drunken sailor pounds ale. It’s really not much quicker than a 462c stock and a 462c with just a good muffler mod seems to be dead even (or a fuzz quicker) thru the timber with 20-25” bars. A well ported 572xp or a 462c will take a stock 500i lunch money imho. It is an excellent saw but seems to be a tweener saw. Like between a 462c and a 661c. Not trying to start a ruckus just my 2c peace ☮️

Last edited:

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
Leaned it out some to 14,850 WOT but I think it's got a problem with the pop off making it run on after the cut.

Local time
Reaction score
It's not a Farmertec one but it's an aftermarket 390 carb. I order an OEM 390 carb off ebay today.
I was going to say if it’s the farmertec carb who knows... I’ve had my rounds with those. 44 carbs work good on those too but it’s some fiddling.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I was going to say if it’s the farmertec carb who knows... I’ve had my rounds with those. 44 carbs work good on those too but it’s some fiddling.
Had the same problem to a lesser extent on a 660 kit I put together and when I took off the ported AM cylinder and put an OEM one with just the exhaust widened the problem went away, maybe it has something to do with the way I'm porting them.

Local time
Reaction score
Had the same problem to a lesser extent on a 660 kit I put together and when I took off the ported AM cylinder and put an OEM one with just the exhaust widened the problem went away, maybe it has something to do with the way I'm porting them.
I doubt it unless you are passing up skirts or or have drastically changed the blow down or timing... I typically find if I have a running issue from porting I was trying something way out in left field I should not of been.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I doubt it unless you are passing up skirts or or have drastically changed the blow down or timing... I typically find if I have a running issue from porting I was trying something way out in left field I should not of been.
Just normal porting, must just be these after market carbs.

Nutball

Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I still think it is either running too hot, or something is tuned too lean or a small air leak somewhere, maybe all of the above.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I still think it is either running too hot, or something is tuned too lean or a small air leak somewhere, maybe all of the above.
Tomorrow I'll spray some brake cleaner at the back of the carb and see if it's leaking there. I don't think the low is to lean, it loads up when I let it idle awhile and it does it even when I've got the high tuned rich. I'll get it figured out.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Higher compression = more heat , simple physics. An air cooled 2-stroke can lose 10-20% power when hot - again , simple physics. Once the saw is warmed-up to operating temperature and properly tuned you should be able to make cut after cut after cut with negligible power-loss and not have the saw lean-out. The saw sounds like it’s too lean on the h

Last edited: