Ported Saws... Lets see your work fellas

Fabz

Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Same bar/chain on both. The STIHL is more of a nascar engine design with a 34mm stroke vs 39mm stroke for the 572xp. I applied the same pull on the handlebar to both as close as I could get , also the STIHL had to cut thru 3knots at the bottom of the cut - the wood was hard maple. I most certainly could make either saw faster by using a thinner base gasket and probably p/u another .5hp .... Squish is .030 on the STIHL and .038 on the Husqvarner - stock base gasket and no machine work. I Could also weld up the combustion chamber and Machine to up the compression for more power but for bucking wood / felling trees these both work well. Either one will do the job but the STIHL is a fuzz quicker and the Husqvarna is a fuzz smoother

Nutball

Local time
6:44 PM
Reaction score
026 I did & a XS 7900. I was satisfied with how the 026 turned out, but want a little more out of it, so I might open up the muffler more as it only has an extra side exit with stock front hole. The version of cylinder wasn't the best to start with, and I didn't feel like going extreme with machine work on this one. I cut firewood a couple days ago with the 7900, and it was blowing through 14" white oak in 3 seconds.

View attachment Ported 026 and XS 7900.mp4

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
026 I did & a XS 7900. I was satisfied with how the 026 turned out, but want a little more out of it, so I might open up the muffler more as it only has an extra side exit with stock front hole. The version of cylinder wasn't the best to start with, and I didn't feel like going extreme with machine work on this one. I cut firewood a couple days ago with the 7900, and it was blowing through 14" white oak in 3 seconds.

View attachment 712
It is woke

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
An older 550 I did in July, It's not the fastest 50cc I've got but it's my favorite.

Base cut and a pop up made, exhaust widened, timing advanced, lowers smoothed out and a muffler mod.

thumbnail_KIMG2102.jpg

Clint53

Local time
Reaction score
Stihl 046
This is my second post about this saw.
It's my first porting/building attempt.
It has been a blessing for learning what not to do. I was going down the wrong road at first.
Another saw builder stepped in and got me straight.
I started with the stock piston and had piston slap. Then I put in a Hyway and I can't get the intake duration, exhaust duration and combustion chamber like I want.
So I'm waiting on a Meteor piston and I'll see where I can take it.
I'm doing the squish band and cylinder bottom by hand, so it's slow going. I'm measuring more than the hand machine work.
It has the speed, but is lacking torque.
I will not start on another saw until I go as far as possible with the 046.
My common sense told me I was doing something wrong when I first started working on the saw.
I had followed the wrong builders. So my conclusion is some builders don't know the right way and the rest build torque monsters.
Thanks for looking.
Clint

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
Stihl 046
It has been a blessing for learning what not to do. I was going down the wrong road at first.
I started with the stock piston and had piston slap. Then I put in a Hyway and I can't get the intake duration, exhaust duration and combustion chamber like I want.
I'm doing the squish band and cylinder bottom by hand, so it's slow going. I'm measuring more than the hand machine work.
My common sense told me I was doing something wrong when I first started working on the saw.
I had followed the wrong builders. So my conclusion is some builders don't know the right way and the rest build torque monsters.
Thanks for looking.
Clint

Walker builds um rite

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
Stihl 046
Thanks for looking.
Clint

Looks like it runs good. Seeing how it performs with a longer bar in big wood would help us see what's wrong. What are the port timing numbers on it so far? Opening the lower transfers "big time" may be your problem if it was too much and in the wrong direction.

I did a day of logging with a stock 046 with dual port muffler, it was a well used saw. I think I was running 24" or 28" possibly full skip, and may have had a 8 tooth rim on it, and it did very well buried in oak.

Last edited:

Clint53

Local time
Reaction score
Looks like it runs good. Seeing how it performs with a longer bar in big wood would help us see what's wrong. What are the port timing numbers on it so far? Opening the lower transfers "big time" may be your problem if it was too much and in the wrong direction.

I did a day of logging with a stock 046 with dual port muffler, it was a well used saw. I think I was running 24" or 28" possibly full skip, and may have had a 8 tooth rim on it, and it did very well buried in oak.
I wouldn't dare put the numbers on here or any other forum. If I did I'd have 6 different people telling me what to do.

I will put a 24 and 32 on it when the time comes.

Last edited:

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
I watched the other video. I think it just needs the upper transfers worked over properly. The upper transfers can make or break the performance. And maybe open up the muffler more (I can't see what's been done to it). But I've never ported a 046, so hopefully someone can tell you exactly what's hindering the performance you are looking for. Upgrading the air filter with something that has much less flow resistance is always a good way to gain some power. The old HD1 filter with pre filter over it is highly restrictive.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I accidently posted this in the Dyno thread so I moved it over here.

361 kit saw I've been messing with. I ported an OEM cylinder and put an OEM 390 carb on it, 14,950 WOT in the video but I still need to work on the tune.

Attachments

• KIMG2543.JPG
    KIMG2543.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG2545.JPG
    KIMG2545.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG2546.JPG
    KIMG2546.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG2544.JPG
    KIMG2544.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 4

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
I accidently posted this in the Dyno thread so I moved it over here.

361 kit saw I've been messing with. I ported an OEM cylinder and put an OEM 390 carb on it, 14,950 WOT in the video but I still need to work on the tune.

Seems good to me . What do I kno

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
I usually don't go very deep with the chamfer. In my opinion, chamfering much deeper than the plating is useless unless I can replate it afterward. Some stock Echo ports have no chamfer at all surprisingly. I didn't go much wider on the transfers, so they retained the stock squareness. I mainly polished the rough texture out of them. But thanks for watching out.

Nutball

Local time
Reaction score
I did just a little, but that was what I could do with a diamond burr as I haven't found any 1.6mm carbide burrs of the shape I want, and those uppers are very small.

Local time
Reaction score
I did just a little, but that was what I could do with a diamond burr as I haven't found any 1.6mm carbide burrs of the shape I want, and those uppers are very small.
I learned from a very good saw builder that using a stone on the uppers works extremely well. I just widen to desired size than angle the dremel a little bit to bring the port up to where I want it... on the upper transfers thats not much, just a little bit

Attachments

• 20211004_175207.jpg
    20211004_175207.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18