Who uses Stihls 2 in 1?

theammixman

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Bruce, have you ever pulled the center, raker file out of the tool when you sharpen? I used the 2-in-1 exclusively for about 6 months before I got my grinder and we go through a lot of chain. We break in about 700 saws a year and 2-3 tanks per saw so that’s a bunch if sharpening. Anyways, take the raker file out of the tool and only use it about 1 out of every 3-4 sharpenings. Otherwise it just takes too much raker each time. I like the 2-in-1 for field use when I’m tired and I don’t have a heavy duty vise to get the saw in exactly the right position I like for freehand sharpening. Yes, I know the stump vise works nicely, but I have back problems and it’s hard for me to get down on a low stump and get my angles the way I like them.

My advice would be to use whatever system is comfortable and allows you to make nice consistent teeth on both sides. With cutting stumps so low you don’t have the margin of error to have one side of the cutters off and make a cut that drives down towards the dirt. Lol, I just got done sharpening a 46” chain off one of our 880s that a good custimer dug into the dirt accidentally when he wasn’t watching what he was doing. Luckily he was right next door to my shop when he did it and I could fix the chain for him. Well, I could bandage it for him anyways. As you know, dirt will destroy a chain rather quickly! He needed about an hours worth of fixing to get this one back in shape.

What are you using to sharpen back in the shop? Are you using a grinder or by hand? What type of chain are you using? I find .404” Semi Chisel will stand up to a lot more abuse for stump cutting than a 3/8” Chisel. I also find a harder brand like Stihl or archer works better than Oregon and lasts longer. When we have customers using Oregon they complain of having to sharpen more often as the teeth get dull a lot faster.

Hopefully this info is helpful!
Hi Justsendit
Yes I have pulled the raker file. Especially on the 36” chain, that one I run a skip so I have taken way to much of the raker with the flat file in it by mistake not keeping the tool level.

I more than anything just like the handles or the system if one calls it that acts as a guide.

At home I just put the bar saw and all in a vice after cleaning it and sharpen it with the same tool. I have no grinder. Tried a harbor fridge one years ago, it sucked of course. Not sure it would save me a whole lot of time, or it doesn’t feel that way with how much I sharpen on the job. I can probably clean both saws quite well have them back together, and sharped in well under an hour.

I’m running 3/8 chisel chain. I did try semi chisel in 3/8 but it cut quite a bit slower and I had to sharpen almost just as much, I still have the not completely used up chains. My 046 and MS460 are ported to the best of my ability but I didn’t think they would pull 404 chain. I’m no chain or saw or porting expert by any means but I think I gathered 404 is much more aggressive than 3/8. As of now the 20 28 and 36 in bars and chains are all 3/8

Thanks for the reply
Bruce