Let's Build A 660!

Fabz

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
Over here if you want a stronger, or faster, or deeper saw- you just go buy a bigger one.
I can't compare numbers or anything- I'm not a porters butt hole- never done one, never claim to know how to. šŸ˜

What I do know though from using them, is the early 066 was a stronger stock saw than the 660, top bottom and in the middle.
Iā€™ve run an 066 red-lite and own a Frankensaw 064 built by yours truly. Built a 660 thatā€™s in this thread and I can say from experience they didnā€™t improve with the new model number at all. The 660 vs the 066,064 ā€œold school designā€ seems to come up short in stock trim and this is more pronounced when modded similarly with the same amount of work done. Itā€™s a combination of those damn bureaucratic pollution-control czars that forced the manufacturers hand and an offering from STIHL that was lukewarm at best cc for cc

Last edited:

Nutball

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
What exactly is different that makes the 066 better even when modded than the 660? Transfer tube dimensions? Exhaust height? Piston dimensions? Combustion chamber shape? I've never compared them side by side. If I'm not mistaken, stock 066 had a lower exhaust and dual port muffler which would be a definite advantage.