6:35 AM
Reaction score
Mounted up.. let the shenanigans begin.
c393cb52304d91d3ff5dbf5c8433a285.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Local time
Reaction score
Machine work done .040 out of the band netted us 98 125 82 ... I typically like these at 100 but we are going to fly with it. On to grinding. I definitely do not want to move the intake or exhaust. But we will widen and raise the uppers.
96c1d5ab3b059f10b9ed63a764f4fd33.jpg

jasent

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I have a few personal saws like that. Everytime I think I have time... something comes up.

Yes this one is a personal saw also. Started the project about 4 months ago. But summer is very busy time for me. Probably won’t have it finished till fall. No hurry tho got a 066 in my fleet already

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that.. but with the lower exhaust it will hold better rpm pulling a long bar. Will also handle a 8 pin better on shorter bars.

Over here if you want a stronger, or faster, or deeper saw- you just go buy a bigger one.
I can't compare numbers or anything- I'm not a porters butt hole- never done one, never claim to know how to. 😁

What I do know though from using them, is the early 066 was a stronger stock saw than the 660, top bottom and in the middle.

Local time
Reaction score
Over here if you want a stronger, or faster, or deeper saw- you just go buy a bigger one.
I can't compare numbers or anything- I'm not a porters butt hole- never done one, never claim to know how to.

What I do know though from using them, is the early 066 was a stronger stock saw than the 660, top bottom and in the middle.
You had the right idea... Some of the older cylinders did have better timing.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
The 064 and 066 had nice cylinders that made excellent torque when modded. The 660 suffers from a low BMEP right from the factory. Fortunately with some flow-porting / tricks and piston mods they can be made to run well. Here’s a climber I hired that wanted to try it out on a big silver-maple. Sounds like an old Mac but she throws the chips. Stock squish and NO machine work ....

Brett Carter

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve always been a sucker for a good 660 build. Nice work! Any plans for ignition advance?

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
No plans for ignition advance on the 660 though she is running pretty Rich in that video. For a guy who is into racing saws and looking for the final 1-2% ignition timing may be critical for victory whether advanced or retarded .... For a good running worksaw advancing the timing will give more torque at the expense of overall power. I attempt to build em with plenty of Torque so I’m good there! ..... I’m in Ny at 600ft/sea level so the air is relatively dense, same guy/saw fuel etc cutting in Oregon at 3500ft could benefit from from a few degrees advance as the air is thinner. The only way to know for sure is to p/u a few xtra keys and start playing around with it. Really don’t think it’s the be all/end all that some make it out to be imho

Last edited:

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Here’s the same 660 with a tuned pipe running pig rich at 12,500 ...
... Again , flow-ported, piston mods and some flow tricks. Again , No machine work (squish band cut, base cut or “decking” the cylinder and stock squish with stock base gasket . Not a dedicated race saw by any means. I can remove the pipe , put on the muffler , retune and go cut wood and vice-versa.