I;m forever sharping my chain(s)

BlacknTan

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
I usually get about a tank of fuel or so before the chain needs to be touched-up again. Percentage-wise I’d say about 90% sharp. You could keep cutting with it for a fuzz longer but from my perspective it’s better to bring a few saws with sharp chains and just grab another saw. As a bonus to this method I find the chains last longer when you only need use a few strokes of the file, the files last longer too! 😉.

I agree with this.

My chains last longer with many slight touch-ups, over a few major ones.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
I agree with this.

My chains last longer with many slight touch-ups, over a few major ones.

Agree 100% when you are cutting nice clean logs, but you can wreck a chain in one cut if it have been dragged and the bark is loaded with dirt and pebbles- or you strike the ground- or the tree was standing next to a busy dirt road all summer and each time a vehicle passed it was coated in a dust cloud from the dry dirt road- or it contains metal....... or ..... or .....
Lots of things can turn a razor sharp chain into a very blunt chain faster than you can blink.

BlacknTan

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Agree 100% when you are cutting nice clean logs, but you can wreck a chain in one cut if it have been dragged and the bark is loaded with dirt and pebbles- or you strike the ground- or the tree was standing next to a busy dirt road all summer and each time a vehicle passed it was coated in a dust cloud from the dry dirt road- or it contains metal....... or ..... or .....
Lots of things can turn a razor sharp chain into a very blunt chain faster than you can blink.

I getcha! I'm working downed and dirty wood right now with full chisel. I should be using semi, but I like seeing chips fly... Lots of touch-ups!

It's a favor... I wouldn't cut this junk for myself..:rolleyes: