Firewood Processing Setups

• Thread starter BayouCountryPowerSaws
  • Start date

Fabz

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
A K/N oiled filter with outwears just can’t be beat imho. Stock filters work but get expensive (after a while they are spent and need replacement) ... Max flo oiled foam filters are a significant upgrade and a guy can get 25+ tanks before needing to be cleaned and re-oiled lest “fines” start working their way into the engine. I’ve got 100+ tanks on the K/N with outerwears without any debris getting into the intake. A machined intake / velocity stack is needed and the filter will protrude out the rear of the saw a bit (some guys do not like that) but if used for bucking / noodling I haven’t had any issues.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
A K/N oiled filter with outwears just can’t be beat imho. Stock filters work but get expensive (after a while they are spent and need replacement) ... Max flo oiled foam filters are a significant upgrade and a guy can get 25+ tanks before needing to be cleaned and re-oiled lest “fines” start working their way into the engine. I’ve got 100+ tanks on the K/N with outerwears without any debris getting into the intake. A machined intake / velocity stack is needed and the filter will protrude out the rear of the saw a bit (some guys do not like that) but if used for bucking / noodling I haven’t had any issues.

Put me on that list, heck- I don't even like Halfsquahedbanana high tops! :ROFLMAO:

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Had to do it, the old Kohler started burning near as much oil as petrol- so off it came. Found a guy wanting to drop his 16GPM 2 stage pump for a 28GPM, so the old Sperry/Vickers is gone as well, new alloy manifold and new coupling, couple of bits of key steel and away we go.

image0 (31).jpeg image1 (9).jpeg
Have not hooked up a battery for the electric start yet and still running the small tank, but seems to be coping if I cut a trailer load, bring it home, split it and go get another, rather than have the splitter running non stop for half the day.

HUGE improvement. (y)

jasent

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
Got a load of Doug fir split up yesterday

Attachments

• F21E991D-BEDD-4914-A2A4-631B0E584951.jpeg
    F21E991D-BEDD-4914-A2A4-631B0E584951.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 1

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Are you running an outdoor boiler that can take that length of log or do you cut them to length in a sawhorse? Just curious as I’ve seldom seen them split in those lengths

TimJus

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
Are you running an outdoor boiler that can take that length of log or do you cut them to length in a sawhorse? Just curious as I’ve seldom seen them split in those lengths
they are stacked as (1 meter) 39" lenght (easy to stack/ self standing ) and after wood is dried we cut them as needed to desired lenght with buzz saw.
we usually keep 2-3 years worth of wood in buffer, now i think i have 10 years worth of logs stacked
i cut my garage boiler wood to bags 10" long and house has fireplace it uses 20" long and 13" long is is the lenght firewood byers want.

Oakie

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
Having a non detent valve, the original lever was starting bore a hole in the middle of my palm.

View attachment 716
Could you use the splitting ram to split, and use a smaller ram to pull it back,
that would speed up the process, only use one pipe on each ram, pull lever one
way to split, the other way to pull back in.

Another way is to put two opposing rods into the barrel, and split a log at each
end of the splitter, what should speed up the process too.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Could you use the splitting ram to split, and use a smaller ram to pull it back,
that would speed up the process, only use one pipe on each ram, pull lever one
way to split, the other way to pull back in.

Another way is to put two opposing rods into the barrel, and split a log at each
end of the splitter, what should speed up the process too.
Speed is no longer a problem- Honda 11hp electric start and new 16GPM 2 stage pump solved that, valve is okay with the T handle- my biggest problem now is it has the guts to split some gnarly stuff- but not the body to do it. Real ugly knotty crotch wood is bending the push plate and I beam....... :LOL:

Oakie

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
Speed is no longer a problem- Honda 11hp electric start and new 16GPM 2 stage pump solved that, valve is okay with the T handle- my biggest problem now is it has the guts to split some gnarly stuff- but not the body to do it. Real ugly knotty crotch wood is bending the push plate and I beam....... :LOL:
Some half inch plates cut to fit into the channel either side, and welded in place, but before that
I would cut some similar plate to weld vertically connecting the top , side and bottom of the channel together,
then weld the side plates over the top, connecting top and bottom of channel together, and reinforce the fixed
plate that is bending when the ram pushes the log into it.
I suppose its better to sort it than start again given all the work already invested.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Some half inch plates cut to fit into the channel either side, and welded in place, but before that
I would cut some similar plate to weld vertically connecting the top , side and bottom of the channel together,
then weld the side plates over the top, connecting top and bottom of channel together, and reinforce the fixed
plate that is bending when the ram pushes the log into it.
I suppose its better to sort it than start again given all the work already invested.

I have already welded gussets in, but it is tearing the beam web beside the welds.
I just need to make a new push plate more suited to the improvements, that will encase the I beam and be from some slightly more substantial steel than the 5mm (3/16" for you lot) gusset plates that go from push plate to plate support that bolts to the beam. ;)

Local time
Reaction score
wow 1 cord firewood on 6 foot pick up truck

Attachments

• 265864698_4584634894948109_5330681209517707220_n.jpg
    265864698_4584634894948109_5330681209517707220_n.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1

YWPD

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
But is it free- only interested in it if it is free or if I can paint my gmail address all over it?
lol put company magnetic signs on it and drive it to locations where you can split logs on site. Or paint your company on it with a brush, to keep it tacky as possible. bahahaha