Firewood Processing Setups

• Thread starter BayouCountryPowerSaws
  • Start date

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
So, bit of beefing up and light repairs, new hoses etc. That old home built splitter I got and featured earlier goes and does what a splitter should do- but it is slow, single stage pump and non detent control valve.
What to do?
Obvious answer is to upgrade the old vintage Sperry/Vickers vane pump with a newer two stage 16 (or even better 22) GPM pump.
If I do that I will increase speed, but at the expense of oil heating up- so bigger tank and more oil. Currently it runs around 22 litres in the tank and whatever is in the system- not really enough for a 16 and certainly not enough for a 22.
Then will the old Kohler 161T be sufficient? I have an electric start 11hp Honda sitting doing nothing, different shaft- so that means new oil tank, new pump, new drive splines, new manifold from motor to pump.......
New Hansen valve here is in the vicinity of $300 of our dollars, new Hansen pump around $500- in saying that the cheapest Asia made splitter you are likely to find here new would be about $2,500 minimum.

Makes you think a bit though eh? When is a bargain not a bargain? How much do you dress up a pig with lipstick to find out at the end of the day- it is still a pig? :p

Bbqmann

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
So, bit of beefing up and light repairs, new hoses etc. That old home built splitter I got and featured earlier goes and does what a splitter should do- but it is slow, single stage pump and non detent control valve.
What to do?
Obvious answer is to upgrade the old vintage Sperry/Vickers vane pump with a newer two stage 16 (or even better 22) GPM pump.
If I do that I will increase speed, but at the expense of oil heating up- so bigger tank and more oil. Currently it runs around 22 litres in the tank and whatever is in the system- not really enough for a 16 and certainly not enough for a 22.
Then will the old Kohler 161T be sufficient? I have an electric start 11hp Honda sitting doing nothing, different shaft- so that means new oil tank, new pump, new drive splines, new manifold from motor to pump.......
New Hansen valve here is in the vicinity of $300 of our dollars, new Hansen pump around $500- in saying that the cheapest Asia made splitter you are likely to find here new would be about $2,500 minimum.

Makes you think a bit though eh? When is a bargain not a bargain? How much do you dress up a pig with lipstick to find out at the end of the day- it is still a pig? :p

Paid 750.00 for mine its slow but does the job .

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Paid 750.00 for mine its slow but does the job .
Cool, US$750 is about NZ$1,100- how much do you think for postage? Is there a USPS box the right size?
This far- it might owe me somewhere in the region of $2-300, so $800 of new parts is still a pretty cheap splitter- but then the main I beam is a bit light, the push plate is not mounted up the best (is now better- but not great) and it will still probably need a larger oil reserve tank........

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
That fixes that

With the added bonus of it can be unscrewed and you have a T27 wrench for Stihl bolts!
That was a tamper proof wrench with the hole up the guts of the tip, it snapped on a stubborn cylinder bolt- kept showing up like a bad apple as I had not thrown it out- had the idea of grinding the busted shaft into a seal remover or pick. This usage gets it out of the workshop and off the bench!

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
With the added bonus of it can be unscrewed and you have a T27 wrench for Stihl bolts!
That was a tamper proof wrench with the hole up the guts of the tip, it snapped on a stubborn cylinder bolt- kept showing up like a bad apple as I had not thrown it out- had the idea of grinding the busted shaft into a seal remover or pick. This usage gets it out of the workshop and off the bench!
Bob my

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
B

Bob my gf mom lives by the beach i use an old pit to barbecue no stack just vent i made a stack using soda cans fabricated it works.... Necessity the mother of inventions...us southern boys make it work

Fabz

Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
Gave the saws (and myself) a good workout the past few days! Two loads of hardwoods in log form with some over 30”. Quite a few large / knotted pcs remain that will be made into 6-8” long chunks. Sometimes it’s easier/faster to just buck the knots apart and use an 8lb maul (Fond of the Fiskars version) to make Firewood chunks. I find these knotted/twisted pieces to burn very well , most likely because the wood is denser.

Attachments

• 1D391D16-9911-4117-B066-FEB4B2E20104.jpeg
    1D391D16-9911-4117-B066-FEB4B2E20104.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 79A5523D-5083-4966-A465-E1344AF27754.jpeg
    79A5523D-5083-4966-A465-E1344AF27754.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
4+ facecord load of Hard (sugar) Maple cut up the the Hotwoods STIHL 064 and Hotwoods Torque-r Husqvarna 572xp. Chains definitely need a touch-up on both saws but fortunately the wood was clean and I was able to dice em all up. I did sharpen the chains on both before this cutting session and adjusted rakers to my liking. Fuel economy is excellent on both saws however the nod goes to the 572xp torque-er. Can easily cut 10face on 1 gallon with this combo and do so very very quickly.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
4+ facecord load of Hard (sugar) Maple cut up the the Hotwoods STIHL 064 and Hotwoods Torque-r Husqvarna 572xp. Chains definitely need a touch-up on both saws but fortunately the wood was clean and I was able to dice em all up. I did sharpen the chains on both before this cutting session and adjusted rakers to my liking. Fuel economy is excellent on both saws however the nod goes to the 572xp torque-er. Can easily cut 10face on 1 gallon with this combo and do so very very quickly.

Is that some kind of Frankenstein 661 airbox cover mounted up to the 064, or did you change the whole airbox scenario to allow for different carb?

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
That 064 features a k/n filter with outerwears attached to a velocity stack feeding a stock carb - works well from a performance angle and a guy can go an entire season of cutting or more without maintaining it IF one uses the outerwears in tandem with the oiled k/n. I just use a toothbrush and knock off any debris on the outwears and keep on cuttin