Very hard to pull cord

dag

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
I have a Rancher 55 have used for at least 10 years always easy to start - did not use last year but now when I try to pull the cord to start there is very hard to turn over the engine. I took the spark plug out and pulling the cord there is no resistance. Put the plug back in and there is so much resistance cant even pull full length of cord. Any help would be appreciated never had problems like this before.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
Did you put it away tanks empty or tanks full?
Could Mud Daubers have moved in to the muffler?

If it went away hot and the fuel tank vent is obstructed- fuel can syphon into the cylinder and leak down into the crankcase- sitting below the piston it will not compress and move like vapours and make it hard to rotate the crank.
If compressed gasses cannot escape, rotation becomes hard and removing the spark plug becomes the new exit instead of the muffler exhaust port.
Pull the plug, tip the saw upside down, pull the starter cord several time, does liquid drain from the plug hole?
Remove the muffler- does the engine turn freely then with the plug still in?

Could also be a build up of carbon in the combustion chamber, or a totally carboned over spark arrestor screen in the muffler.

dag

Local time
Reaction score
so far no change will have to dive deeper into the chainsaw - I'll figure it out just may take a while but hell I am retired so thanks again have a good day and if I'am up against a brick wall I'll check back in.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
Pull the muffler and look at the piston through the exhaust port- it might be mechanical and something is broken inside.
That does not explain how relieving combustion pressure (removing spark plug) make it rotate freely though.
So maybe pull the starter cover and the starter pulley- if it is cracked or the outer face split that sits against the spring- that can cause resistance under compression as the pawls fully engage- but goes away when compression is released as the pawls do not fully engage.
That would be my next port of call.

dag

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks will check but I think it is okay just with first inspection. But now I check for spark- plug out and against the motor pull the cord and no spark. Now how this can be the cause of difficulty pulling the cord to start the chainsaw no idea I've got to think the two are not related. Do you know what the gap should be between the flywheel and the ignition module. I have it set at about 0.5mm. If the ignition module is shot I doubt I want to fork over about $80 for a new one. Think I'll go have a beer and let the gremlins fix it for me.