Stihl MSE 210 Electric vs. Stihl Easy2start

Bambibuster

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I'm approaching 72 years old and finding it hard to start my 2 older Stihl chainsaws. Would appreciate your advise on which route to take on either electric battery or Easy2start. I'm mainly cutting white oak (up to 10 inches) for firewood before splitting. I'm leaning toward electric because I've heard the Easy2start isn't always easy???

Nutball

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
I know the ms180 has easy2start tech, but it is also a bottom of the line model, so carb issues are a potential problem, and I have known the ms180 I use to be impossible to restart after using it in very hot weather until you can thoroughly cool it down. It is hard to beat the simplicity and convenience of electric if you only cut small wood. I would choose electric if you have a heavy duty extension cord, and don't need to go far from an outlet.

Bambibuster

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I know the ms180 has easy2start tech, but it is also a bottom of the line model, so carb issues are a potential problem, and I have known the ms180 I use to be impossible to restart after using it in very hot weather until you can thoroughly cool it down. It is hard to beat the simplicity and convenience of electric if you only cut small wood. I would choose electric if you have a heavy duty extension cord, and don't need to go far from an outlet.
Thanks Nutball.....I'm interested in the battery model. My log pile is 400 yards north of my cabin. I'm hearing good things about Stihl's battery technology but still trying to make the best decision.

Nutball

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
With a 120VAC saw, you are limited on max power, but the battery saws don't get much stronger. I've never tried any corded ones from Stihl, but the reviews look good. I had a Black & Decker once, but it was miserably slow and under powered. I can't remember how many amps it was, but I imagine either way a Stihl would be much better, however, the price is not reasonable for a corded saw in my opinion.

The main issue with battery technology is the limited run time. Take the cells out of a battery pack, and fill the empty shell with gas, and you have something like 40 times more energy. Take into account the extreme inefficiency of a gas engine, and it is still probably around 7 times more, which makes sense because the batteries for my wimpy Kobalt are 1/3 the size of the Stihl AP 300 S batteries, but twice the size of the gas tank in my little 25cc Echo saw which can cut faster than the Kobalt, and for 3-4 times longer than one Kobalt battery.

You will want at least 2 batteries, I wish I had 4 for my Kobalt, but they are small batteries. The MS180 with easy start will be the best bang for the buck, and probably has the easiest starter of any brand, and you can refuel and go as long as you have gas and oil, but the MSA 220 means starting at the push of a button, no fuel fumes or mess, quieter operation, fewer parts to go wrong.

DSC04728 (800x600).jpg