Stihl MS440 build

Chainmale

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
I'll be watching. I've got all the parts and disassembled my 440 ready to go back together when works a bit quieter.
Is it easy to drive the seals in too far? I don't have a seal driver, is there a place the outer sides should sit flush with?

Great pics and nicely laid out thread

Stump Shot

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
I'll be watching. I've got all the parts and disassembled my 440 ready to go back together when works a bit quieter.
Is it easy to drive the seals in too far? I don't have a seal driver, is there a place the outer sides should sit flush with?

Great pics and nicely laid out thread

Yes you can go too far and the seals will come in contact with the ball bearings inside the races.
As well as if sticking out too far will come into interference with the flywheel and worm gear/clutch.
If you take note of their position before you take them out you can then reinstall to the same place with no problems.

Norm

Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Very impressive, especially the heating and the case halves. I had no idea on the heating part. Great step by step. I knew it had to be pretty involved. I'm sure as many times as you do it it's pretty routine.
I agree very impressive. And I was not knowing of the heating part either.

Stump Shot

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Very impressive, especially the heating and the case halves. I had no idea on the heating part. Great step by step. I knew it had to be pretty involved. I'm sure as many times as you do it it's pretty routine.
I agree very impressive. And I was not knowing of the heating part either.
At least you can keep yourself company. Lol