Stihl MS361 Rebuild - Need advice on parts

2-StrokeDude

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I’m currently working on rebuilding a free MS 361 I got. As I posted in another thread, the piston blew up and destroyed the cylinder, bottom end crank bearings and the connecting rod bearing. So I’ve split the cases, and I am planning on replacing the crank, main bearings and seals, cylinder and piston.

Here’s what parts I’m planning on purchasing, how does the cylinder kit look? It says it’s got a Nikasil coating so it seems like it would be a decent cylinder. I’m fine if I need to chamfer the ports a little bit to clean it up

Cylinder -

Crank -

Bearings and seal kit -

The crank looks pretty nice to me and is most similar looking one compared to the original OEM crank.

I’m trying to get away with rebuilding this saw for $200 or so. With all of the things I’m buying for it I would be out about $185. Do you think these are decent parts? Not looking to get a Hyway or Metoer kit, yes I know they are better or OEM parts are best, but I’m kinda on a budget here so trying to keep things cheap but still get decent parts.

Think these parts would be decent and last a while? Probably would be better than the Farmertec junk?

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Crap shoot at best ! 361 is a worthy saw to rebuild - I’d spend the coin and go oem if possible , alotta of those Chinesium cylinders just do not make good power

2-StrokeDude

Local time
Reaction score
Crap shoot at best ! 361 is a worthy saw to rebuild - I’d spend the coin and go oem if possible , alotta of those Chinesium cylinders just do not make good power
Yup, I found a really good deal on a high quality Meteor piston and cylinder kit so that should work well

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
The thing with going cheap on the bay is- they (the sellers) get the stuff from someone even cheaper and add a mark up.
Little bit of google work and you can find the same stuff from the more original supplier cheap as the bay sellers get it.

It is still mediocre quality at best- but cheaper mediocre, so when anything lets go early (like piston ring retainer pins, or wrist pin clips, or cylinder plating etc) its is not as bigger loss.