Stihl HT101 very hard cord pull after long storage

ychainsaw

New member
Local time
7:56 PM
Joined
Oct 6, 2026
Reaction score
0
Location
Yreka
I'm trying to get my old Stihl HT101 running after it'd been stored for years. I cleaned it up and added fresh 50:1 (gas tank was emptied before storage). Had to refresh my memory about starting procedure with the original owner's manual. Went through all the steps, but when I finally tried the starter cord it was very difficult to pull, much harder than I remember or is right. I can get the engine to turn one rev with great difficulty pulling the cord out a little way, but it's nothing like I remember.

I checked the air filter and it looked fine-- removing it made no difference. Took out the spark plug and the cord turns it over easily, almost no resistance (combustion chamber seemed clear). Cleaned plug and put it back in and it's very hard to pull again like before. I'm at a loss. The valves have a compression release mechanism... could that be it?

What else could it be? Am I overlooking/forgetting something basic?
 
No idea- never worked on one.
But- is the chain trying to turn as the engine is turned over?
Could be a locked up clutch- bearing seized on crankshaft.

Totally blocked exhaust from insect nests.

Hydro locked, crankcase full of fluids.

Me, I would be unbolting things to see if it made any improvements- muffler- entire shaft- clutch........
 
Back
Top