Stihl Chainsaw Thread

• Thread starter BayouCountryPowerSaws
  • Start date
B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

This will be the start of the Stihl brand specific thread.

Andrew Scott

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
I have a 362C and it's been a good reliable saw over the years. I'm thinking about replacing it with the new 400CM. My thinking is for a little extra weight I get more power, but in the same logic the 462 is a little more weight than that and even more power. Has little to do with size of saw I need, more to do with the saw I'll enjoy. I've never used either the 400 or 462. Looking for opinions.

Labfab

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
I have a 362C and it's been a good reliable saw over the years. I'm thinking about replacing it with the new 400CM. My thinking is for a little extra weight I get more power, but in the same logic the 462 is a little more weight than that and even more power. Has little to do with size of saw I need, more to do with the saw I'll enjoy. I've never used either the 400 or 462. Looking for opinions.
I haven't gotten an opportunity to run a 400 yet but I've heard it has the torque that the 362 lacks and is a really strong runner. I can however say, the 462 is the most impressive saw I've ran in stock form. It's sassy right out of the box. Either one would be a fine choice.

Dennisthemenace

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
462 with muffler mod is my favourite

Tom

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of folks disliking the 362 model Stihl, why?
There's just something not right about them. I think Stihl rushed them onto the shelves before they were ready, and as we've seen, already put out an updated version. I have one of the first production types, and the coil went south already (the saw had very light use), there was no good reason for that. Otherwise, they seem fine to me, and a lot lighter than the old SuperWiz 66 that I used when I was younger.

B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

There's just something not right about them. I think Stihl rushed them onto the shelves before they were ready, and as we've seen, already put out an updated version. I have one of the first production types, and the coil went south already (the saw had very light use), there was no good reason for that. Otherwise, they seem fine to me, and a lot lighter than the old SuperWiz 66 that I used when I was younger.
Haha my dad also used an old super wiz with a bow to cut firewood. I personally am not a fan of how those saws transfer in 4 opposite corners of the cylinder.

Tom

Local time
Reaction score
Haha my dad also used an old super wiz with a bow to cut firewood. I personally am not a fan of how those saws transfer in 4 opposite corners of the cylinder.
I haven't taken it apart yet, but I think they run hotter than they should, I'm thinking about opening up the carburetor, to get some air/fuel into the air scavenging inlet. Any thoughts about that, or am I risking a 'way to rich' scenario ?

Chris Paul

Local time
Reaction score
Got a 660 in the fleet. Great saw. Chews up hardwood like a shredder. 2008 model. Wanting to do a future rebuild. I am going to try and get as much OEM stuff as possible, it is importantto me to keep it Stihl as possible. Anybody know of reputable sellers of NOS parts for this one? Have about had it with searching fleabay...

Clint53

Local time
Reaction score
First post on the forum. I'm liking what I'm seeing.
I'm a saw builder in progress.
I just ported my first saw, a 046 and I have most of the bugs worked out.
I'll have a better chain on it today.
I only have very dry Locust and White Oak to test it in for now.
Here are two vids I've made of it so far.

Clint

HVAC

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
I know it is a long shot and I know the history behind the Stihl 048 but if anyone has a good used piston and rings laying around and would like to sell them please message me I am trying to get my Dad's old saw back running again, thanks