Stihl 200T rebuild needed

robpm

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I have a Stihl 200T which I bought brand new in in I think was 2004 s/n 162905336. It has been a great saw but I figured I messed up with my gas and did not mix the oil like normal. I have been running chain saws for over 40 years, I have an 044 that I purchased in 1997 and it is still running strong. So I froze the engine 200T. I am thinking that I could rebuild it. I am guessing I would need a new cylinder, piston rings, head etc. Is this worth doing? Where would I purchase the parts from, directly from Stihl or are there other avenues available? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As I said this has been a great saw for me and I am really sorry that I messed up in this way but these things do happen at times and I understand that. Thanks for your help.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
Well, it all depends on how messed up things are inside where the action happens.
You are almost certainly going to need a new piston and rings- cylinder may or may not be savable- you just wont know till you tear it all apart and inspect each part.
These are a well respected much coveted saw for the professional user. It deserves proper parts.
There are "other" options- but they are as a rule pretty crappy options.
Photos of how bad/good the damage is will help.

robpm

Local time
Reaction score
Well, it all depends on how messed up things are inside where the action happens.
You are almost certainly going to need a new piston and rings- cylinder may or may not be savable- you just wont know till you tear it all apart and inspect each part.
These are a well respected much coveted saw for the professional user. It deserves proper parts.
There are "other" options- but they are as a rule pretty crappy options.
Photos of how bad/good the damage is will help.
I agree that this is an excellent and coveted saw and I want to replace it with the right parts. I was figuring I would replace it using a complete cylinder kit and not mess with just replacing the piston and rings. My next question would be do I need to replace anything else. I have not torn it down yet but I will look to do that soon. I found several complete cylinder kits here. They are not Stihl but it looks like the Metor brand is as good as an OEM replacement. https://www.wolfcreeksawshop.com/pr...l-ms200t-ms200-020-020t-40mm-italy-w-gaskets/

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
If it did a tank of straight fuel- you might want to check the con rod and bottom rod bearing fairly well.
You might consider new main crank bearings and oil seals- but neither are run of the mill types for this wee gem and can be "interesting" so personally I leave well alone there unless the bearings are gritty/noisy.

Generally speaking- Stihl = best, Meteor next best and Hyway if they do one for these comes in third.
If the original cylinder will clean up that is the best, easiest and cheapest option with a new piston kit. But your tool, your money and your choice.
Depends on how deep you decide to go if you need a full gasket kit for the saw.

robpm

Local time
Reaction score
If it did a tank of straight fuel- you might want to check the con rod and bottom rod bearing fairly well.
You might consider new main crank bearings and oil seals- but neither are run of the mill types for this wee gem and can be "interesting" so personally I leave well alone there unless the bearings are gritty/noisy.

Generally speaking- Stihl = best, Meteor next best and Hyway if they do one for these comes in third.
If the original cylinder will clean up that is the best, easiest and cheapest option with a new piston kit. But your tool, your money and your choice.
Depends on how deep you decide to go if you need a full gasket kit for the saw.
Hyway does make a complete cylinder kit for the 200T as well. I learned this evening that Stihl no longer supplies a cylinder for the 200T so it has to be after market. if I need to replace the cylinder So in that case I would go with the Meteor kit. I did not run a whole tank of gas through it. It was just about 1 min that it ran and then it stopped. The piston seems to be frozen so I am going to guess that the cylinder is scored or worse. I need to pull the saw apart to see. I can then check the bearings as you have suggested as well. I am also talking to another guy on the Arborist forum who is a wiz kid at rebuilding 200T's. He rebuilds them all the time. His labor is $150 plus the cost of parts. I kind of like the idea of rebuilding it myself for the challeng but of course you can get in over your head as well.

treefella

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
I sent a 200t to Iowa performance chainsaw(look him up on facebook,or YouTube) he did a great job on mine. At a reasonable price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_183517_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_183517_Messages.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240101_183508_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_183508_Messages.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0