Stihl 028 bar/chain lubrication:

Tom

Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Stihl 028 has been known for poor chain lubrication: Over the past few years I've noticed less than optimal chain lubrication AND it always leaks. So, when I ran out of bar/chain oil, I decided to use OLD olive oil, which I mixed with Badahl's oil thickener to help the oil stick. As of now, I can say that standard, modern bar and chain lube IS TOO THICK for some/most older saws. The 028 no longer leaks, and uses about one tank of oil, for each tank of fuel. I am NOT RECOMMENDING olive oil. The owners manual, on page 25 says to use motor oil (different weights for different temperatures). I hope this helps someone.

82F100SWB

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
I pretty much always use winter weight chain oil and have no issues with my hoard of saws. At least around here there have always been light(winter) medium and heavy(summer) weights. Is that not a thing in warmer climates?

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Local time
Reaction score
I pretty much always use winter weight chain oil and have no issues with my hoard of saws. At least around here there have always been light(winter) medium and heavy(summer) weights. Is that not a thing in warmer climates?
I never had trouble until I used a gallon of unbranded bar/chain lube that someone gave to me. It had no designated use (winter/summer), The saw just started to leak, and I never associated the problem with the thicker oil (It was as thick as, or thicker than 90W gear oil). Previous to that, I had been using any oil that was on sale, mostly 10W30.

prmckenney

Local time
Reaction score
I live in a warm climate (Alabama) and I've never seen different bar and chain oil for different seasons. To be fair, I've never really looked for it though. Didn't know different weight bar oils existed until now.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ManBehindTheScene

Local time
Reaction score
I live in a warm climate (Alabama) and I've never seen different bar and chain oil for different seasons. To be fair, I've never really looked for it though. Didn't know different weight bar oils existed until now.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Yep, they exist. The standard summer time bar oil is a 30W oil. The winter grade oil is a 20W. The tractor supply brand oil is very thin to begin with but I buy their winter grade and mix it with my preferred brand summer grade.