Saw Break-In

Wonka13

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
So, I know that every guy has his method of breaking in a new saw, much like breaking in a new rifle barrelšŸ˜‰. As Iā€™ve seen everything from ā€œrun it like ya stole itā€ to ā€œpamper & baby the saw for the first 10 hrsā€, Iā€™m curious what your methods are & why. Is it saw or brand specific, or are there general hard & fast rules to follow for break-in? Iā€™ve used ~ 24:1 for the first couple of tanks, with around 6 heat-cycles for tank #1, and cutting 8-10ā€ cookies at about 3/4 throttle max for tank #2. Tank #3 I start using my 40:1 ratio. In my previous world, we never really broke saws inā€¦just grabbed them off the truck and out of necessity, ran ā€˜em like rapped apes with very little warm-up. Interested to hear your thoughts on the matter!šŸ˜

B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

I've always just run it a little rich for a few tanks and then re tune it as it breaks in. I feel like if it was a more important thing, warranty would kick in after your break in period and they would be more specific about breaking it in lol

Wonka13

Local time
Reaction score
I've always just run it a little rich for a few tanks and then re tune it as it breaks in. I feel like if it was a more important thing, warranty would kick in after your break in period and they would be more specific about breaking it in lol
Yeah, seems like the manufacturers are quite vague regarding this topicšŸ˜†

prmckenney

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
I bought an Echo CS7310 in January. It came tuned pretty rich. The only break in instructions were not to tune the carburetor until you put two tanks through it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Iroczu

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I always run a little rich and heat cycle a tank or 3/4 worth of fuel before using it in the wood then wait until the saw let's me know when the rings seat and then start to fiddle with the carb, could be 10 5anks could be 3 tanks every saw acts differently. Not sure if that's the right or wrong method but works for me

Real1

Local time
Reaction score
I bought an Echo CS7310 in January. It came tuned pretty rich. The only break in instructions were not to tune the carburetor until you put two tanks through it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
I'm very interested in that saw. They dribbled a few out and then nothing. I haven't tried again recently.

How do you like it so far? Tunable carb, metal recoil assembly, heavy cases.....sound like a dream come true in a new saw for me.;)

Kevin