Poulan tuning new vs old

Turbo0138

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I have heard the newer saws like the 4218 have trouble staying in tune and allways need to be adjusted is that true? Are the older like pp220 better. I don't mind tuning a saw but don't want to be doing it constantly

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
The 4218 is stratto carb versus the 220 isnt.
Either way, they are both pretty much bottom shelf saws with the Poulan brand not being anywhere near the quality they once were pre Electrolux involvement.
Lots of things restrict these wee box store saws- lean from the get go, very cheaply made, dubious build quality and restrictive EPA type fittings- like choked up mufflers and restricted carbs.
Things can be "done" to make them run a little better- but at the end of the day, they are what they are and for the money if they are running on any given day- they will put wood on the trailer for you.

If I was in the States and looking to buy a brand new consumer saw, I would be looking at options from Echo long before Poulan.

Turbo0138

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you on the brand. I was given a few of these poulans from a guy at work and was going to tinker with them this winter for a beater saw. I was just wondering if guys have had any luck keeping the stratoncharged ones in tune or if I'm better off on the older ones.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
Cut the mufflers up so they can breathe- repair suspect looking purge valves and lines (line out of tank has a habit of sucking flat under full RPM load) remove any limiters on carb screws and see what you end up with.