Poulan S25 won't start

3crows

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
I just got and cleaned up an old Poulan S25DA and replaced the fuel line which was deteriorated. It was probably left on a shelf or under a rock with fuel in it for a long time. Tried to start it but it wouldn't. Squirted a bit of starting fluid in the carb to make sure the coil wasn't the problem and it fired right up then died. It doesn't have a priming bulb and after pulling on the rope several times but it looks like the gas isn't being drawn into the carb. I pulled the hose off the carb, sucked the fuel up to the end of the hose and clamped it off with a needle nose pliers and re attached it to the carb. There was a 1/4" of air space but when I pulled the rope several times it didn't move. It has a Walbro WT20 carb that seems to not be available. I can get a rebuild kit from ebay. It has a bunch of parts that don't apply but it does have the diaphragms that could hopefully solve the problem. Does anyone know of a different and available carb I can replace this one with or is it just going to be wall art?

RedneckChainsawRepair

Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
Yep diaphragms and check valves get stiff. Good time to clean the screen inside and replace too.

Rebuild it first IMHO. Take pics if your first time so you know how when going back for right order etc.

pcarbsmicro.jpg

3crows

Local time
Reaction score
Thanka for the reply. "Rebuild it first IMHO." What's this?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
Rebuild the carb I think is being suggested.
Genuine carb kit, replace all the bits that can be after a thorough cleaning of the carb body and all orifices within that body.
Do not use compressed air from a workshop compressor and blow off gun to clean the tiny fuel passages of chainsaw carbs- aerosol carb cleaner or ideally an ultra sonic bath.
As you strip the carb apart- pay careful attention to orientation and order of the parts you remove- or video record the process so you can check back. If you are not used to playing inside them- they can be somewhat confusing.

3crows

Local time
Reaction score
Normally I use MEK to clean automotive carburetors and it has works very well. It really cuts through most anything and evaporates quickly. Unless there's a reason not to I'll just drop it in a small can of MEK, let it soak awhile, swish it around and then let it dry before rebuilding it. I ordered a rebuilding kit from ebay. As I said above, it has parts for several different carbs but it has the diaphragms that are supposed to work in the Walbro WT20 carb.

3crows

Local time
Reaction score
Rebuilt the carb and it runs fine and has plenty of power for a small saw. BUT! It throws oil all over. Spect I'll have to take it apart again to get to the manual (ha ha) oiler?