Oregon Bar/Chain Identification

billtheconqueror

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
I was recently given an Echo 602VL. It has a bar on it identified with the attached image. I can't find any reference to the numbers on this bar. The chain that was on it does appear to be 3/8" pitch based on measurements I took.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 3/8G and 3/8 referenced on the bar?

The chain that was on it is a Stihl with 3/8 stamped on it. The bottom part of the chain (I don't know all the correct terminology, yet) has a 3 stamped on it (indicating 0.050" Gauge. It also has a B4 stamped on the chain. I haven't been able to identify if this is a 3/8 Low Profile chain, or just a 3/8. Does anybody have any guidance on identifying this?
IMG_20231212_081819822.jpg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:57 PM
Reaction score
G I believe was a designation for 3/8 LP on these era of bars- what those numbers are telling you is the bar number code as per the tip fitted to it- ie: for G (3/8 LP), standard 3/8 and .404 pitch chain if they were all 0.050 gauge.

Off the top of my head- B4 means little to me regarding Stihl chain- but it looks to be standard 3/8 in the photograph.
What do the stampings on the bar tip say?

Last edited: