Old points ignition troubleshooting..

Chainmale

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding an old Stihl 015 (don't ask me why. Bought a couple of parts to begin with and one thing led to another)
I checked for spark before tearing it down. Did seals, crank bearings, piston and rings. Passed pressure and vac on engine+ carb and fuel hose. Comp test over 150psi.
Anyway... I've got good blue spark on my spark tester and at the plug but it's not even popping off with some mix down the carb. Can I rule out coil and condenser as the culprits? Flywheel, key and coil gap are set. I'm going to figure out how to set the points tomorrow
Sorry for the speech lol tried Google but thought id chuck a question up here

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Sometimes I worry about the sanity of some fellow Kiwi's come this time of the year. :ROFLMAO:

But you have gone and done it now, so guess we better have a go.
Id say there is naught wrong with your spark generation system if the tester lights up good and the plug has electrical impulses jumping the terminals.
If it is getting fuel to wet the tip of the plug- then my guess is timing is out.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Can the point gap affect spark timing? I'll whip the flywheel back off and check anything timing related.. I'll keep you posted.

Yes it can, from memory the more open they are - the more advanced the timing.
If i was feeling generous- I would go dig through the banana boxes of Stihl literature and find my 015L stuff.

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
Hey. Sorry got talked into going away while I still had some time off.
I Got the ignition sorted, possibly a bit of moisture left over from the brake cleaner, I'm not too sure. Got points set and got it to fire and run off some mix down the carb, was struggling to pull fuel, so have had the carb apart and in the ultra sonic, when I get home I'll re-assemble and let you know. Cheers for thinking about it though, much appreciated

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
It's alive!! Thankfully as I'd way rather be figuring out what I need to build at least 1 064 out of a box of bits I got recently.
Now this 015 can go on the shelf of saws that I can say go rather than cast into the graveyard side of the shed.
Took a video of it running but it was too large to upload.

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
It was bad enough admitting I fully rebuilt it 😂. May we never speak of it again lol.
Looking at the bits for the 064 they don't look their age design wise, not much different than a modern design.
Got a fish bin with a semi complete 064 a second crankcase, a couple of tanks multiple covers and recoils, some older magnesium filter cover parts, 3 044 tanks and 1 crankcase a 380cd Husqvarna, and thankfully Stihl are quite good at numbering there parts so could sort all those out as well. All for the hefty sum of a box of Lion Brown 😂
Edit *480cd*

Last edited:

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
I have half a dozen tanks and case sets/bottom ends for 064's- my problem is finding good top ends for them in our part of the World.
Have one running a Meteor top end and its nice- just not as nice as the OEM ones.
In my opinion- the old alloy air box flat filter is a bit of a let down- compared to the HD2 option.

Now if you wanted to find a home for that 044 bottom end (if the crank is still good)- I know a guy looking.

Personally I could do with a good 380/480 CD flywheel.