Old Husky 44 Leaks fuel

Pepsidrivah

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I just brought my old 44 Ranchero home from the shop. I have a fuel leak that seems to start when the tank is filled above the cap. It is not leaking from the fill cap. The fellow from the shop, that is an "official" Husky warranty repair show, told me the saw has electrical issues and no compression . Not worth fixing, as he wouldn't be able to get parts. I have a 2 year old Husky and the 44 outperforms it. I got home and pulled it out of the case. It fired up after 1 pull with the choke and one without. I tore into a wood pile of 4' oak and ran it until burned the 1/2 tank of fuel. It cuts like a hot knife thru butter! Is the fuel tank part of the housing? I can live with the 1/2 tank operation. I was just curious about the tank before I tore it apart and caused more damage.
Tanks in advance for any input.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
We are talking one of these?

1700337858472.jpeg

Tank is independent of the crankcase.
If you are 100% sure the tank is not leaking from around the filler cap or the vent built into the filler cap- then my best guess is one of the bolt/screws that hold the wrap handle tail to the tank side has been replaced with something oversized- over tightened or the wrap bar has had a jolt and busted the protrusion into the tank at about the same level as the filler cap- but on the opposite side of the fuel tank.

Pepsidrivah

Local time
Reaction score
So what is part of the plastic case of the chainsaw. It would appear that the back section with the handle and the trigger is separate from the plastic section that holds the pull starter. I'll start with the cap vent and go from there. If it's a break in the gas tank, I'll have to replace that portion of the housing, right? I love this saw! Thanks for the input and I'll update after I accurately diagnose. IMG_20231118_162234619.jpg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
That first line should say so that the gas tank is part of the plastic case that houses the trigger assembly.

Then yes, the tank is part of that assembly- rear handle/trigger control group/ front tank tail.

Have you ever seen an IPL? = Illustrated parts list? Exploded diagrams of saws with part numbers for each. Very handy to explain things visually as to what goes where.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
So what is part of the plastic case of the chainsaw. It would appear that the back section with the handle and the trigger is separate from the plastic section that holds the pull starter. I'll start with the cap vent and go from there. If it's a break in the gas tank, I'll have to replace that portion of the housing, right? I love this saw! Thanks for the input and I'll update after I accurately diagnose. View attachment 1665

Well first you have to find out exactly what is leaking where. Then decide what needs or can be fixed and what needs replaced.

The entire plastic tank/handle and tail drop out of the main case of the saw once all the rubber anti vibe mounts are disconnected and the fuel line pulled from the carb.
The front wrap bar mounts to this plastic assembly via 4 screws- 2 under the saw and two at the clutch side of the saw. The two at the rear screw into protrusions inside the gas tank- if they are fractured- gas will leak if filled above- or if the saw was laid on the clutch side.

If easier to understand- I can probably take a photograph through the filler cap on mine to show you what I am talking about?

Pepsidrivah

Local time
Reaction score
I have not seen an IPL, but I'm getting the gist of what you are saying. I will start with the simplest solution tomorrow when I tear it apart. I have a 2-year-old 440 with a 20-in bar and it cuts, but not like the 44. I'm guessing it's something you do with the chain. Back in the day I could get a pretty aggressive chain that would almost pull the bar into the wood. Now the safety features seem to really affect the the ability of the saw to cut effectively. Safer? Maybe. Fun? Not as much! Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
With the clutch cover removed- you will find these two screws (or similar) that hold the back of the wrap handle in place.

1700345409079.jpeg

Opening the gas cap and looking inside- you should see two raised and rib connected nipples- one close to and part off the tank wall- the lower one bridged and out on its own.
If these are cracked or damaged- they will cause a fuel leak.

1700345567045.jpeg

1700345621400.jpeg