Muffler mod thread

tacotodd

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
@Red97 What's your opinion on outlet size after running the same saws with different size outlets on your dyno?
Have you ever heard of the spaghetti noodle trick? Take the dry noodles and fill the outlet on the cylinder or gasket or muffler inlet. Now for the math. Get between 60-75% of them and that will give you the idea for an outlet for whatever muffler you’ll be using. Multiple outlets are a leeetle harder to calculate.

Just sayin.

And I know I’m not Red

Ronie

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of the spaghetti noodle trick? Take the dry noodles and fill the outlet on the cylinder or gasket or muffler inlet. Now for the math. Get between 60-75% of them and that will give you the idea for an outlet for whatever muffler you’ll be using. Multiple outlets are a leeetle harder to calculate.

Just sayin.

And I know I’m not Red
No, I've never heard that. From my own experiences, I've never had an outlet that was to big and I've put some big outlets on some small saws.

tacotodd

Local time
Reaction score
@Ronie if you were to put a saw on that dyno while having an adjustable exhaust outlet then you would be able to see the difference that outlet sizes make a difference WHILE YOU CHANGE THEM. Sorry, I really don’t intended to yell, just emphasize.

tacotodd

Local time
Reaction score
And remember, HP is a calculated measurement in relation to the MEASURED torque & RPM. I forget EXACTLY how to calculate it, but it’s amazing that we can get the ponies from a saw (and torque) that we do.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
@Ronie if you were to put a saw on that dyno while having an adjustable exhaust outlet then you would be able to see the difference that outlet sizes make a difference WHILE YOU CHANGE THEM. Sorry, I really don’t intended to yell, just emphasize.
That's why I would like to hear Red97's thoughts on it, he's done a lot of dyno runs with different exhaust.

tacotodd

Local time
Reaction score
I was advised to watch out if your cutting really dry wood, potential for fire. I just love the sound of our XP390 piped muffler. Sounds like a 2 stroke dirt pipe. Haha
All 2strokes should sound like that, or there’s something not quite right with them (box store variety for example) 😱

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I was advised to watch out if your cutting really dry wood, potential for fire. I just love the sound of our XP390 piped muffler. Sounds like a 2 stroke dirt pipe. Haha
That's why I try and put them coming out to one side or the other if I can. I think only one of my saws has the exit out the front, my Redmax g450.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    313 KB · Views: 6

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
And remember, HP is a calculated measurement in relation to the MEASURED torque & RPM. I forget EXACTLY how to calculate it, but it’s amazing that we can get the ponies from a saw (and torque) that we do.
I’m going to respectfully disagree. The chainsaw engine is far from a high performance engine, more like an outboard in that it gives good power and gets the job done but also lasts for 1000-2000hrs. Of course we can “enhance” the output by certain modifications , sometimes at the expense of longevity but the inherent design limits the amount of torque/hp that can be produced. You’ll never get a 70cc chainsaw to produce the HP a 70cc dirt bike will. Be lucky to get 1/2 lol 😂

Red97

Local time
Reaction score
@Red97 What's your opinion on outlet size after running the same saws with different size outlets on your dyno?
Some like big, some double medium. And some like even bigger.

Depends on the port arrangement and carb/filter. Lots of things at play for a given saw.

85% of the time 1/2-3/4" hole works well.

Wonka13

Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
For my 372xt, I measured out the exhaust port size & opened up holes in the muffler (2) about the same size…as I run screens 100% of the time, I figured in the approximate obstruction from them and ended up @ ~ 70% of the intake opening for the exhaust outlets…seems to work well🤷🏼‍♂️

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
While there is more than just a simple muffler mod on this saw, it gives an example of everything working in concert (tuned intake , flow porting and tuned dual tube exhaust). There is No , I repeat NO machining work on this saw , timing is factory and the squish is stock (no base gasket delete). Iirc the squish was .030 from the factory ...

tacotodd

Local time
Reaction score
While there is more than just a simple muffler mod on this saw, it gives an example of everything working in concert (tuned intake , flow porting and tuned dual tube exhaust). There is No , I repeat NO machining work on this saw , timing is factory and the squish is stock (no base gasket delete). Iirc the squish was .030 from the factory ...
It looks like you’re cutting in socks. Or did I see something else?