Most Important Tools

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
Sooner or later, once you start using saws, you turn your hand to fixing them.
Be it simple R&M on your own one saw, working on several of your own saws, fixing a neighbours- friends- relations saw, or buying up wrecks and parts saws to rebuild.
It takes some basic tooling, some of it kind of brand specific and must haves like T27 drivers and 4mm Hex drivers, but you can do a whole lot with basic hand tools before you go spending on big dollar items like Tachometers, pressure and vacuum testers, compression gauges designed for small engines.

So, what are some of the most important to have?
For a basic took kit, for a one or three saw owner maybe basic repairs and not full blown rebuilds?

For me, one tool I cannot be without and I have been known to buy in boxes of 20- is a simple cheap 75 X 3mm flat blade screwdriver. They can do a whole lot of things when it comes to saws. They make a nice tuning screwdriver, beautiful for opening carb covers, push off fuel and impulse lines, detach choke levers- throttle linkages- and electrical connections. At a pinch they will pry out small oil seals- but not ideal for that.
One of the most valuable tricks in their arsenal is, they are brilliant for digging years of accumulated crap out of the heads of 4mm and T27 cap head bolts BEFORE you jam a driver in there and round the head out.

image0 (54).jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
Hemostats...
I had lasted years without them, but since I got my hands on a pair it's amazing how much I use them. Fuel hoses, primer bulbs, linkages. The list goes on View attachment 1560

True that, they are a simple and handy tool that can often be had fairly cheaply- much better than fat fingers for reaching in to tight areas a small screw, bolt or linkage may have fallen in to- can often be found, grabbed and extracted with hemostats.
Large right angle jawed ones will work to remove Husqvarna tank mounted AV rubbers as well.

EggShooterist

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Sooner or later, once you start using saws, you turn your hand to fixing them.
Be it simple R&M on your own one saw, working on several of your own saws, fixing a neighbours- friends- relations saw, or buying up wrecks and parts saws to rebuild.
It takes some basic tooling, some of it kind of brand specific and must haves like T27 drivers and 4mm Hex drivers, but you can do a whole lot with basic hand tools before you go spending on big dollar items like Tachometers, pressure and vacuum testers, compression gauges designed for small engines.

So, what are some of the most important to have?
For a basic took kit, for a one or three saw owner maybe basic repairs and not full blown rebuilds?

For me, one tool I cannot be without and I have been known to buy in boxes of 20- is a simple cheap 75 X 3mm flat blade screwdriver. They can do a whole lot of things when it comes to saws. They make a nice tuning screwdriver, beautiful for opening carb covers, push off fuel and impulse lines, detach choke levers- throttle linkages- and electrical connections. At a pinch they will pry out small oil seals- but not ideal for that.
One of the most valuable tricks in their arsenal is, they are brilliant for digging years of accumulated crap out of the heads of 4mm and T27 cap head bolts BEFORE you jam a driver in there and round the head out.

View attachment 1558
I have many small flat screwdrivers that I use for all kinds of things besides their intended purpose. Another invaluable tool I use are dentist picks for all sorts of things.

EggShooterist

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Hemostats...
I had lasted years without them, but since I got my hands on a pair it's amazing how much I use them. Fuel hoses, primer bulbs, linkages. The list goes on View attachment 1560
I use those as well. Especially to hold my brazing rods as they get short when I'm doing muffler mods.

I have a pair of plastic fuel line clamps that I keep the seeps at bay with. Lol