More aggressive cutting chain

john-o

Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
My Farm Boss 290 came with a 3639 005 0074 26RS 74 chain. A good chain, but is there another
chain that my Farm Boss can use? I read somewhere of a "chisel" type, or something like that.
Can someone suggest a aggressive cutting chain other than the one I'm currently using, for my
290? Thank You.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Um, RS is chisel chain.
You are currently running about the best chain you can for .325.
If you have that chain as sharp as it can be and the rakers set correctly, it is hard to beat.

I guess you could swap out drive spur, chain and bar for a 3/8 system, run RS on that, maybe nick the rakers down a bit low, file an aggressive hook in the cutters and baddabing baddaboom you have more aggressive cutting- but would the 290 pull it?

I would suggest concentrate on the filing of the cutters on the chain you have, get them as perfect as you can and let the saw do the work.
If you need more aggression- go find a nice 066.

john-o

Local time
Reaction score

Bob Hedgecutter

Thank you. I'm gonna stick with what I have and work on keeping my chains sharp. I have to do more practice on sharping my chains the right way, and stop trying to re-invent the wheel. I have plenty of chains left over from prior work, so I have a decent lot to work with.
Thanks again, Bob.

Nutball

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
It's hard to beat new out of the box Stihl RS (Rapid Super). Sometimes I wish it wasn't so aggressive out of the box. It's hard to recreate how they come with a file too, so enjoy the new chains while they last.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score

Bob Hedgecutter

Thank you. I'm gonna stick with what I have and work on keeping my chains sharp. I have to do more practice on sharping my chains the right way, and stop trying to re-invent the wheel. I have plenty of chains left over from prior work, so I have a decent lot to work with.
Thanks again, Bob.

Believe it of not, if you are having a little bit of trouble getting the cutters bang on, the 2in1 tools are pretty good at getting the top plate nice and sharp, but leave the gullet proud a little- which can be addressed with a handheld file if needed.
New files cut best- when did you last swap out your file for a new one?

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting video by Jonny Reilly on filing round chain. Just make sure to wear gloves if you attempt this method because if you slip you will slice yourself badly. Pay special attention to how he files the gullet , this is important for chip clearance. This method makes for a very , very fast cutting chain - not quite as fast as square filing but darn close and is much easier! ........

BlacknTan

Local time
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting video by Jonny Reilly on filing round chain. Just make sure to wear gloves if you attempt this method because if you slip you will slice yourself badly. Pay special attention to how he files the gullet , this is important for chip clearance. This method makes for a very , very fast cutting chain - not quite as fast as square filing but darn close and is much easier! ........
That's a good video!

Local time
Reaction score
My Farm Boss 290 came with a 3639 005 0074 26RS 74 chain. A good chain, but is there another
chain that my Farm Boss can use? I read somewhere of a "chisel" type, or something like that.
Can someone suggest a aggressive cutting chain other than the one I'm currently using, for my
290? Thank You.
www.farmertec.com