Mcculloch Mac 4-18XT - Dies when throttle is punched

macD

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, Happy New Year. So was given a 4-18XT a year ago and it always would die or at least sputter when the throttle is punched. It idles fine. I've done some adjustments to the idle, low and high to get optimum performance. I can ease into the throttle and it will run at high rpm okay. I've cleaned the carb, new gaskets, new air and fuel filter, new spark plug. Cleaned it well, also new gas with the correct ratio, 40:1. I notice the fuel line still looks good (pliable) but to my untrained eye the entry point from the carb to the fuel tank seems a bit restricted. I blew into the fuel line and it was unobstructed. Would a not clogged but restricted fuel line make this issue or would it not run at all at high rpm if it truly was restricted? Thanks for your time helping on this.

macD

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Okay, I've got it running much better now. If someone in the future has similar issues, here is how I was able to get my machine to work properly or at least better. I did replace the fuel line from tank to carb, new fuel filter as well but the old one was not all that bad. I also replace the manifold gasket as the old one was beat up and not looking good. I got it running after that but still the same issue. When I punched the throttle it would die or sputter die until I let go of the throttle. If I eased into the throttle it would run at high rpm. So at high rpm I increased the high needle to a bit richer than the middle. Saw a post that one should set the high a bit rich so when cutting the engine has the fuel it needs to work under a load. With that I gave the low needle a bit more (maybe1/2 turn) and that was my issue. Adjusting the high and low was most likely the issue but I'm sure the manifold gasket was leaking air before all this got figured ou as I did spend time reseating and fliping around the gasket. Thank you YouTube and all it's wealth of information. Simple fix but well worth the learning experience. Peace ya'll.