McCulloch 5-49 two person saw

timbo21

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
How's it going all,
I'm fairly new to the vintage chainsaw market and stumbled across an opportunity to purchase a 1949 McCulloch 5-49 saw. The saw is all there and does run, however still needs some love.

#1. Cleaned out the diaphragm cavity, and idles ok, but won't rev up? Not sure what thie issue is. Found original manual on line and ordered it but not enough details on gettingnit to review up. New diaphragm is enroute.

#2 the original pull starter on the saw would bund up really bad, tonthe point it was rendered ineffective. Took it apart and the recoil spring and clutch spring were bent up. Not sure what happened there? The owners manual does not have any good rebuild instructions on the pull start and I did order the new clutch spring. Any direction on this after is appreciated. I was able to order a second starter on ebay but seems to slop more? The mount holes linenup but is a thinner thickness mount? Not sure what's going on there?

That's all so far, any help or guidance is appreciated. 20231002_165331.jpg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Wow.
Neat old piece of history.
Way out of my league- I will happily admit I know hothing about them- but maybe the carb might benefit from a strip down and run through an ultrasonic cleaner.
Hope someone here can help you out and you can get this old girl operational again.

timbo21

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
I sure hope so. I'm no stranger to tearing down carbs, just need some pointers on the adjustment settings, which would be a big help.

Thanks!