Long bar for CS-590

jbova

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-590 Timberwolf; it's a great saw for what I do with it, which really is just firewood work for my home. But now I have a couple trees down in my yard that are worth milling, and thought I'd try that - but the 24" bar is too short - like just barely. Wondering if anyone has run a bar longer than 24" on this saw, and if so, which one? Thanks! -Josh

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
The CS-590 used a D176 Oregon bar tail mount pattern- so you can use those or get away with the Husqvarna large mount D009 which might be easier to find- so it will be easy to step up from 24".
However, with the 590 oil sufficiently out past 24"? Will the 590 have the grunt required for milling with a bar over 24"?
Me doubts it on both counts- for my money you are asking a sub 60cc saw to do the work a 90cc or greater should be doing.

jbova

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
Bob, Thank you so much for this! I agree with you, it's definitely not a good long-term solution to run a longer bar on this saw, and depending on the cost of the bar/chain I may look for a used saw in the 90cc range. But with logs down and a need for like 2" inches more bar, if the the upgrade is cost-effective, I might see if I can make it work.