Jonsered 2186

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Have a Husqvarna 288XP low top, have a Jonsered 2094, have several Stihl 066's.
If I was to buy a Jonsered 2186 (basically a Red Husqvarna 385XP) should I start selling off the 066's? šŸ¤”

tacotodd

Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
I would not. You canā€™t get the ā€œ0ā€ series here anymore, just the MS stuff. Besides that, an 066 is highly regarded because of what it is. Keep the Husqvarnas unless money is tight, but no,DONT SELL IT.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, but what if the owner was never really an 066 fan- true, I believe for forestry logging- they were the best Stihl produced, especially the flat top pre decompression ones, but perhaps not the best in class for a fair while retired from pro use now more casual faller and firewood hack and just how many 066's does one guy need? :D
Have to opportunity to pick up a very clean low hour 2186 and I do like the Red saws. Now, granted, a 2188 might be nicer, but they are a rare find here, 288XP's and 390 XP's are more easily found- I have the 288 because I prefer the front handle angle of that model than the 3 series saws.
Not sure if the 2186 suffered the same bearing woes the earlier 385's did, but that is a risk I am willing to take.
Nothing to do with money being tight, my saw hobby is kind of self sustaining- either saws get built and sold to fund other builds, or they work for me in a semi pro mode- I still do the odd pro job, like the trees nobody else wants to tackle, or strap on spurs and a saddle and climb trees that are too close to something to be felled, although I will admit- since passing 50, those spur jobs become less appealing to the body, even if still fun to do.

jasent

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Iā€™d take a jonsered over a orange and white any day. Thatā€™s coming from a guy that owns 90% orange and white saws.
The 066ā€™s are definitely an iconic saw but how many do ya need to have when ya have a 2094?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Iā€™d take a jonsered over a orange and white any day. Thatā€™s coming from a guy that owns 90% orange and white saws.
The 066ā€™s are definitely an iconic saw but how many do ya need to have when ya have a 2094?

Currently..... four running 066's and a few boxes of bits. They were THE forestry saw to be had from when they were first released, up until the 661 was released maybe 6 months too early and the kinks were not ironed out.
A lot here went back to 066's they had in sheds and repaired them back to front line saws or went to 395's.
The 2186 I was looking at is just too damn clean to pass up and I have quite a few 80-100cc glass saws, so time to increase by one and then thin the herd a little. Probably keep the flat top 066 and possibly one other I have set up dedicated .404.
I don't have a good 064- so that is a fair excuse to have a 2186 isn't it? :p

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Arrived today......

image3.jpeg image2.jpeg image4.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg
View attachment Video.mov

VERY low usage 2186, three Oregon bars 20-22-26 inch, the 22 and 20 need a good dressing up and the 20's nose sprocket is a bit stuck, but the 26 is good. Box of chains, 5 for the 22, 1 for the 26 and 3 for the 20- all Oregon full chisel and between 50-75% filed, so about where they cut the best.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
So I took the saw to work last couple of afternoons- just to cut one trailer load of firewood rings at the end of each day, so less than one tank of fuel per outing.
Was "interesting" off the bat. Tune was way off, way rich on the H, lean on the L and a tad low on the idle. Was sold as being recently serviced- so either the service shop is way out of whack- or the tune is masking another problem as yet unfound.
Have not got it perfect yet, but it is a lot closer to 1 turn out from lightly seated on both H &L and is not showing any obscurities to suggest other problems- however, it probably isn't running at its peak just yet and is running the 26"chain with the shop grind it came with.
Bit more playing with and it should reach full potential- at the moment I would rate my 288XP stronger all around, but in fairness- because the 2186 was so clean when it arrived, it got no more than an air filter check, tanks filled and straight to work. No pressure or vac testing done, muffler gasket was replaced, but that was it. Have also yet to put a tach on it.