Husqvarna 55 Crankshaft Bearing Removal

Solex

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Currently working on a 1997 Husqvarna 55. I would like to replace both crankshaft bearings, but have a problem with removing both. In the attached picture notice that the threaded side of the crankshaft has a larger diameter than the bearing making it impossible to remove the bearing. Is this bearing replaceable?

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_114136954.jpg
    IMG_20220527_114136954.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Yes it is- the problem is first you have to pull the press fit brass/bronze worm gear for the oil pump drive- then pull the bearing.

There is a proprietary Husqvarna tool you can buy to pull the worm gear- or you can make your own with steel 1/2" pipe fittings and a bolt around 3/8" with a ground taper on the end. Or if your local Husqvarna agent has the tool and is willing to do so, they may pull the worm gear for you- but you kind of need the tool to drift the gear back onto the crank once the bearing is replaced.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
This is what I use to pull the worm gear- it is a bit nasty and rudimentary looking, is about 30 years old- but it works!

image0.jpeg

The bottom is a 1/2" female threaded pipe fitting (ignore the external threads around the exterior centre). Tack welded to the top of that is a bit of steel pipe with a nut welded in the open end, to take the bolt and has opposing flats ground in the sides so the tool can be held from rotation with a spanner. Taper ground bolt fits in the top.
Bottom section threads on to the oil pump drive, then insert the bolt to contact the centre of the crank- spanner on main body of the tool to stop rotation and screw the bolt in to pull the gear from the crank.

image1.jpeg image3.jpeg

To refit the drive, thread it into the bottom of the tool until the drive is flush- place over the crank and drive home with a hammer (with the ground bolt removed).

Ronie

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I removed the last one I did by heating the worm gear up with a propane torch and it came right off.