Husqvarna 51

tcain38

Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
I was wanting to port my 51. I’ve never done anything like this before. Can I buy a cylinder with piston and everything I need so I can just bolt up. What else will I need after porting. Bigger carb, coil, muffler mod? I would appreciate the help. Just want to get more power to run a bigger bar but nothing crazy though. Thanks

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Porting a saw (in my limited on subject opinion) involves a bit more than just grinding out some aluminium and hoping.
It requires some mathematics, some understanding on engine internals and their relationships, a degree wheel and an idea of what to do to achieve the desired results.
More power and a longer bar- find a secondhand Husqvarna 61 or even better a 266.

NPTZX

Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
Yes, you can purchase a complete cylinder assembly that includes the piston and everything you need for a bolt-up installation. For a simple, mild port job, widening the exhaust and intake ports to about 65% of the bore size is a good starting point. Also, be sure to check the squish clearance and aim for around 0.020 inches.
A muffler mod will be a good idea to improve exhaust flow. You might also consider advancing the ignition timing slightly and installing a new air filter. All these mods combined should give you a noticeable boost in power.