Husqvarna 2100 CD

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Picked up another 2100 the other day- swapped for an old Oregon D009 24 inch bar and chain.
Missing the starter rope- all top plastics- clutch, so no idea if it had spark or compression. 2100's are rare enough here- when you have one you grab what parts you can where you find them.

Fitted up a rope and we have good spark- great start. Went to put the spark plug in and it didnt fit!
Seems to be threaded for a repair insert (now 16mm) that is no longer in the cylinder- but thumb over the hole- gobs of compression.

Almost looking like too good for a parts donor.......

2100 tags 2.jpg 2100 tags 3.jpg 2100CD 2.jpg 2100CD.jpg 2100 tags 4.jpg 2100 tags 5.jpg

Fabz

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Someone say 2100 ? no bananas or sausages in THIS build … steak 🥩 and eggs 🍳 ONLY 😀

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Was in pretty good original condition- still has all the washers under the heads of the bolts on the cylinder and starter cover- they usually go missing early.
I found an oversized thread repair insert for the cylinder- will be interesting to see how well it lasts. I am assuming as the damaged thread was 15.7mm it had been helicoil wire spring repaired in the past and that let go.
It got a threaded steel repair insert this time. If that fails in the future, it will be a weld and drill, re tap job.

Bustech17

Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. An oversize insert? At 15.7 mm, that's close to almost 5/8inch. The kits I've used have a 9/16 drill bit and uses an insert for the standard 14mm spark plug. Should work still if it felt tight enough with the finishing bit. Hopefully you get lucky and it holds true.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. An oversize insert? At 15.7 mm, that's close to almost 5/8inch. The kits I've used have a 9/16 drill bit and uses an insert for the standard 14mm spark plug. Should work still if it felt tight enough with the finishing bit. Hopefully you get lucky and it holds true.

Yes, the tap provided in the helicoil spring type thread "repair" cuts 16mm threads- the insert takes up the difference between 16mm and spark plug 14mm X 1.25.
I believe keysert do "fat" wall inserts, but do not do one (I could find locally) that is both short and 14 X 1.25 internal. So in order to repair I had to remove old damaged threads, re tap and fit a new insert into new threads that were out past 5/8".

Crush washer of the spark plug still barely covers the insert and onto original cylinder material.

Saw has been through a few heat cycles as I have been playing with it, tuning, checking oiler making new gaskets where I see fit- may do an exhaust swap and put the louvre muffler on the 2101 and the top right port muffler on this one, but insert appears to be holding/sealing.
Got the saw back running on original piston, original rings and if I were honest it probably deserves new rings (twin thick ring piston), so the cylinder will be off again before too long.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
An excellent upgrade to the 2100 series is a muffler off a STIHL 090. You can get one to your door for less than $20 and offer a noticeable improvement over the stock can imho

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
An excellent upgrade to the 2100 series is a muffler off a STIHL 090. You can get one to your door for less than $20 and offer a noticeable improvement over the stock can imho
I will take that bet- I am willing to bet where I live and in my dollars- there is no way in hell I can land an 090 muffler at my door for $20- from any Asian supplier.
The louvre muffler on it will do just fine- still has a spark arrestor screen fitted and the carb still has a governor working. If I need "more" than this saw can supply- I get a bigger saw.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Uhh … unless you live on a deserted island with no post office / usps I’m going to respectfully disagree. You can visit the farmertec website and “faux” buy the item and see what it costs to your door if so inclined. Tec o mec makes the same product but it’s a bit more expensive… best regards !

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Uhh … unless you live on a deserted island with no post office / usps I’m going to respectfully disagree. You can visit the farmertec website and “faux” buy the item and see what it costs to your door if so inclined. Tec o mec makes the same product but it’s a bit more expensive… best regards !

Did you even look at my profile before answering- USPS do not deliver here and although not quite deserted- our entire wee group of Islands has less of a population than many of your cities- I have faux bought your suggestion before I took on your bet.
Cannot be landed here for $20 of my dollars.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Yah, it looks like you’re about 6000mi + from California so ya won’t be gettin nothing for $20 … and Bob’s your uncle

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Yah, it looks like you’re about 6000mi + from California so ya won’t be gettin nothing for $20 … and Bob’s your uncle

So there was a waste of several posts on a thread.

In the meanwhile- picked up another 2100 yesterday, this one was an XP later model- was braked at some stage but is just a bare clutch cover now with the brake attachments.
It got new rings and main seals last night- and a bath.

1701714922054.png

1701714953958.png