Gas Husqvarna 450 weaker than battery 80v Kobalt chainsaw. Need recommendation for better chainsaw.

Tyy

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
Here is the 590 's bigger brother, same size and weight, just more power,
a metal clutch cover, metal handle, a rim drive instead of a sprocket,
a different carb and the engine differs too, its more expensive than the
590, but worth it if you want the upgraded features.
This guy uses an 18 inch and a 16 inch on his 620.
If you want power, not too expensive, and a simple to work
on saw, then the 590 or 620 Echo are very good choices.
Yeah , the Echo models you provide are the most economical & performance for the dollar . Although not the proper tool for the application , at least the most cost effective lmao . P.S. a carbide tooth chain or "Mount St. Helen" style chain would survive the task best " not so sure about the bar or roller tip which are not designed for continuous dirt intrusion !

Last edited:

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
Nobody said a chainsaw cannot do it- most said or implied it was not the ideal tool to be doing it with.
If you are happy doing what you are doing and making dirty sawdust- carry on doing it, a good sharp saw chain on a bar (not a blade) will throw chips not dirty dust.
Excellent summary Bob , actually any Construction cut off saw with an appropriate abrasive carbide cutting wheel would be much more efficient & safe for such work , that routinely are used on demolition & fire rescue teams . Although , actually reciprocating saws with an appropriate blades (teeth per inch) are normally used for such tasks also by competent demolition & construction crews . Not sure the op qualifies as either though ?

Last edited:

Giant Insect

Local time
Reaction score
Nobody said a chainsaw cannot do it- most said or implied it was not the ideal tool to be doing it with.
If you are happy doing what you are doing and making dirty sawdust- carry on doing it, a good sharp saw chain on a bar (not a blade) will throw chips not dirty dust.
"No chainsaw will work to cut roots buried in the ground, the chain will be blunt in seconds."

So, yes, at least 1 person said it was impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyy

Giant Insect

Local time
Reaction score
Excellent summary Bob , actually any Construction cut off saw with an appropriate abrasive carbide cutting wheel would be much more efficient & safe for such work , that routinely are used on demolition & fire rescue teams . Although , actually reciprocating saws with an appropriate blades (teeth per inch) are normally used for such tasks also by competent demolition & construction crews . Not sure the op qualifies as either though ?
Reciprocators are good for many roots, but for anything larger than around 3 inches the power draw from the batteries is too much for them or their motors cannot handle it. Also, and this has just been my experience, recirocators go through their batteries rather quickly when cutting anything harder to slice than pipe.
What are you referring to by "Construction cut off saw"? Do you men a circular saw, or maybe a street saw?

Last edited:

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
Reciprocators are good for many roots, but for anything larger than around 3 inches the power draw from the batteries is too much for them or their motors cannot handle it. Also, and this has just been my experience, recirocators go through their batteries rather quickly when cutting anything harder to slice than pipe.
What are you referring to by "Construction cut off saw"? Do you men a circular saw, or maybe a street saw?

1663176129276.png

Available in many sizes (these ones do run a blade not a bar), many blade types and configurations and you can get cordless battery powered options- I just stole an image off the internet to show you an example.

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
So , you intend to intentionally damage the chain & bar of the chainsaw , not to mention potentionally injure yourself or someone else by using a chainsaw improperly . However , do not have the resources to purchase a few xtra 20 volt , 40 volt or 60 volt or even 80 volt batteries for a more appropriate reciprocating saw or construction / demolition cut off saw along , with perhaps 4 or 6 xtra blades ? P.S. To answer you original question the 450 Rancher home owner grade saw is not what failed , the bar & chain designed to cut wood not gravel , rocks or sand is what potentionally fouled & eventually would have caused the internal drive mechanizium to become contaminated & also fail . The torgue converter that you refer to is more commonly & correctly called a " clutch " . Even much more expensive and powerful world class saws would have been damaged by such improper usage . Numerous qualified & experienced saw users refrain from cutting downed trees for the same reason , dirt or sand & gravel contaminated bark will destroy a chain & bar very easily . Only when a necessity , will they carefully attempt such cutting activities & recognize the potential for damage to equipment or personal injury !

Last edited:

Giant Insect

Local time
Reaction score
So , you intend to intentionally damage the chain & bar of the chainsaw , not to mention potentionally injure yourself or someone else by using a chainsaw improperly . However , do not have the resources to purchase a few xtra 20 volt , 40 volt or 60 volt or even 80 volt batteries for a more appropriate reciprocating saw or construction / demolition cut off saw along , with perhaps 4 it 6 xtra blades ?

Good point! I'll have to mention that to the higher-ups.

Regarding the danger you mention, I've really never heard of anyone experiencing personal injury from cutting roots with a chainsaw. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just a bit surprised it'd be a problem, like getting zapped from a live circuit you're working on, but the message never getting to me. I do ask these questions.

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
Good point! I'll have to mention that to the higher-ups.

Regarding the danger you mention, I've really never heard of anyone experiencing personal injury from cutting roots with a chainsaw. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just a bit surprised it'd be a problem, like getting zapped from a live circuit you're working on, but the message never getting to me. I do ask these questions.
Are you aware of the kickback positions of a saw bar ? If not , enlighten yourself pdq. Your video of cutting with the Kolbalt is an accident waiting to happen friend !