First time buying a chainsaw, looking for some assistance. STIHL/HUSK/ECHO 45-60cc's

pistolpeta

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, never needed to purchase a saw until recently (been cutting downed/dead trees with a 24'bow saw and thats getting old).
Used plenty of home use/smaller gas saws (Stihl, Huskies, Poulan pro, and lesser ones) over the years.

I'm looking to buy potentially more than I need so as to not have to upgrade in the future (cry once buy once has taught me alot in alot of different areas/hobbies).
I have been reading plenty of reviews and watching everything I ca non youtube but am asking for help narrowing down my field of choices.

I thought I was gonna end up going with a Husqvarna 460 Rancher w/24" bar, but have read alot about the Echo CS-620PW.
I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for around $600-$675.
Looking to be able to drop up to 25" dia. hard woods but will mainly be used on 10-20" dia. various wood.
I'm not a pro, far from it, but I'd like to not be left wanting more saw/quality that will make easy work when building up firewood reserves.
(Buying for my future goals of owning land and managing my property for firewood and local deer population/grocery).

Anyway, I'm really considering the Echo CS-620PW but remain open to you guys who use saws everyday/much more often who see what really is worth the dough.

Appreciate your time,

Pete

MadKaw

Local time
Reaction score
I've been using an Echo CS-590 (24" bar). It's the nicest saw I've had. There are enough similarities between the 590 and the 620 that I am sure that it would be even more likeable with the upgrades from the 590. Don't have an Husqvarna, so I can't offer a direct comparison.
My favorite thing about the 590 is how much easier it is to start than my Stihl.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
The 620 is a much better saw than the Husqvarna 460.

Last edited:

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
Here are 5 common parts need to be checked when your chainsaw won't start.

1.Defective spark plug
Due to carbon buildup and a weakened electrode, the spark plug will degrade over time which can prevent the chainsaw from starting. You should inspect the spark plug for damage or wear and you can also use an ignition tester to help determine if the spark plug is defective. Generally, we recommend replacing the spark plug once a year.

2.Restricted carburetor
The residue that results from old fuel being left in the tank can create a restriction in the carburetor. This is why you should always use fresh fuel when filling the tank and a fuel stabilizer to help maintain the quality of the fuel. For better stability, you can use a pre-mixed fuel and oil product that is ethanol free. You can try cleaning the carburetor with carburetor cleaner to eliminate the clog. If cleaning is not effective, you can often purchase a carburetor repair kit to replace some of the components or install a new carburetor altogether.

3.Clogged fuel filter
Old or bad fuel filter can also create a clog in the fuel filter which can prevent the chainsaw from starting. We recommend replacing the filter with a new one.

4.Broken recoil spring
If the starters recoil spring is broken, the rope won’t be able to recoil on to the pulley, resulting in the chainsaw not starting. Many recoil springs can be replaced individually but it may be easier to replace the whole recoil starter assembly.

5.Malfunctioning recoil starter
The recoil starter itself could be malfunctioning and unable to engage with the chainsaw engine crankshaft again. The starter assembly can be replaced to solve the problem.

Is there any reason why you have simply copied and pasted the content of another thread into this thread when it carries absolutely no relevance to the topic?
If you come up with a viable reason- I will accept it- if not, the above post will be removed.

MadKaw

Local time
Reaction score
Well, now you've got your first saw... welcome to the addiction.
There will be more. :D

pistolpeta

Local time
Reaction score
Well, now you've got your first saw... welcome to the addiction.
There will be more. :D
Hahaha, how did you know?
I was talking to my father in law over Christmas, about my plans and how I'd be eventually looking for a smaller saw for limbing and whatnot and he gave me his Husqvarna 142e with an 18" Oregon bar/chain. Said he'd never use it again and that I could have it!
I used it about 8 years ago on their property.
I received it, cleaned it up, and heck, he even drained both the oil/fuel reservoirs prior to layup.
Nice little 40cc saw from what I remember!
New CS-620P will be here Monday and I'll be taking it to the family farm next weekend to do a test run.

I can see this becoming an addiction hahaha.
I've always dreamed of milling my own lumber and think I'll go that route one day (further down the road).

:)

Again, I appreciate all the help.

I got a question though, do alot of you guys double up and also login to (https://www.arboristsite.com/).
I posed the same question on their and received 3 pages of posts compared to this forums responses.
No doubt the holidays had some effect on it but I figured a chainsaw specific forum would gather more response than an arborist site.

Again, thank you guys for the input!

-Pete

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Hahaha, how did you know?
I was talking to my father in law over Christmas, about my plans and how I'd be eventually looking for a smaller saw for limbing and whatnot and he gave me his Husqvarna 142e with an 18" Oregon bar/chain. Said he'd never use it again and that I could have it!
I used it about 8 years ago on their property.
I received it, cleaned it up, and heck, he even drained both the oil/fuel reservoirs prior to layup.
Nice little 40cc saw from what I remember!
New CS-620P will be here Monday and I'll be taking it to the family farm next weekend to do a test run.

I can see this becoming an addiction hahaha.
I've always dreamed of milling my own lumber and think I'll go that route one day (further down the road).

:)

Again, I appreciate all the help.

I got a question though, do alot of you guys double up and also login to (https://www.arboristsite.com/).
I posed the same question on their and received 3 pages of posts compared to this forums responses.
No doubt the holidays had some effect on it but I figured a chainsaw specific forum would gather more response than an arborist site.

-Pete

Many do hold at least dual membership. ;)

But you also have to consider AS has been around a whole lot longer, has MANY more active members and a MUCH larger membership base who will be only too pleased to offer up opinion on any saw related topic.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score

-Pete

Also consider, here you got probably the best sage advice in post #2- especially with the price difference you guys enjoy over there and we did not have to go into several pages of debate of whoever thinks they have the bestest 40-60cc saw in the greater US of A! :D