Echo CS 4910 air filter issues

scootertrash

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Just realized, the picture I posted must be wrong, the site has the wrong image of the saw up.
Did your saw have the round airfilter, the 450 we get here does.
The 450 we get here looks a little different, the handle comes off with less screws,
Yours is a V the ones here are newer and are the P model, plastic case with a split
case alloy engine bolted into it.
That looks just like the JD saw,

Oakie

Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
I will get that plugged and see if it makes a difference, thanks for the info!
Some times its the simple things, hope you get to the bottom of this,
that has to be dam frustrating, cleaning a filter that often.

scootertrash

Local time
Reaction score
Some times its the simple things, hope you get to the bottom of this,
that has to be dam frustrating, cleaning a filter that often.
Yea, I just don't get it. Its under warranty and I have seen pics of galled pistons etc on these saws. Echo doesn't seem to know anything about it...yea, right! Another member (Fabz) has a mod for the air filter assy, I will more than likely go with his mod after the warranty dept. tells me its my fault...lol. Great talking to ya, and thanks for all the input! I will reach out once I get some direction on all of this and let everyone know what transpires.

Oakie

Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
Yea, I just don't get it. Its under warranty and I have seen pics of galled pistons etc on these saws. Echo doesn't seem to know anything about it...yea, right! Another member (Fabz) has a mod for the air filter assy, I will more than likely go with his mod after the warranty dept. tells me its my fault...lol. Great talking to ya, and thanks for all the input! I will reach out once I get some direction on all of this and let everyone know what transpires.
Am nearly set on buying an Echo CS4310, it has the automotive style filter,
will do more research now, especially regarding filtration before I commit.

scootertrash

Local time
Reaction score
Am nearly set on buying an Echo CS4310, it has the automotive style filter,
will do more research now, especially regarding filtration before I commit.
In all honesty, Echo has/had been making great saws. I almost pulled the trigger on a husky but opted for the Echo. Not saying I wont see this through, just wished I would have done more research!

RedneckChainsawRepair

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
I do not understand this, it looks like there is no top on that filter above where it sits on the carb elbow,
if so then it is sucking in air without any of it coming through the air filter.
Thats the bottom of the air filter shown in pics and then it set down on the air filter housing. Same filter on 501 4910 490. ;)

Here flip over for ya. Still same filter.

Then back over. Brand new filter before the easy o-ring fix gets put in like I showed.

e4910aff.jpg e4910afff.jpg

scootertrash

Local time
Reaction score
Thats the bottom of the air filter shown in pics and then it set down on the air filter housing. Same filter on 501 4910 490. ;)

Here flip over for ya. Still same filter.

Then back over. Brand new filter before the easy o-ring fix gets put in like I showed.

View attachment 1418 View attachment 1419
Hey all, just wanted to give everyone an update on this issue regarding the 4910. I DID NOT clean the saw before taking it in, I wanted the saw mechanic see what was going on. Actually, two guys were looking at it and said they have never seen that much crap in the filter area...ever! So, the more knowledgeable guy said to put ear plugs in the carb adjuster holes, thats the main entry of the contamination. I left the saw with them, I let em know and showed them the dust inside the carb as being my main concern. I told em to remove the carb and inspect for damage, replace the packing on the air horn and install a new filter. I did go over the suggestion about installing an o-ring in the filter assy as Redneck did, that will be done at the same time the ear plugs are installed and head to the woods again. I will keep you posted.

Oh. by the way...the big box store I got it from wont work on them, wont service what they sell! I took it to an Echo dealer about 50 miles away that was recommended to me by Echo themselves. Lesson learned, dont buy anything gas operated from a big box store!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
I wonder, does the rather redneck suggestion of ear plugs in the adjuster hole restrict air entering to air box and thus encourage a slightly richer mixture to help improve saws known to be lean out of the box? :sneaky:
Maybe that is one of the cost saving features that enable Echo saws to be that bit cheaper? No ducting from adjuster holes in cover to adjusters on the carb body.

scootertrash

Local time
Reaction score
I wonder, does the rather redneck suggestion of ear plugs in the adjuster hole restrict air entering to air box and thus encourage a slightly richer mixture to help improve saws known to be lean out of the box? :sneaky:
Maybe that is one of the cost saving features that enable Echo saws to be that bit cheaper? No ducting from adjuster holes in cover to adjusters on the carb body.
Hey Bob, there is a "gate" per say on the front of the carb area, used to use for summer and winter use. I cant tell you if it is a cost saving thing or not, but I have had several saws during the last 40 years or so and all of them had access to Hi/Lo screws. I think the issue is a design flaw that allows dust/dirt and wood particles directly off of the chain to enter the air intake area. Its a head scratcher that I WILL get to the bottom of.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Hey Bob, there is a "gate" per say on the front of the carb area, used to use for summer and winter use. I cant tell you if it is a cost saving thing or not, but I have had several saws during the last 40 years or so and all of them had access to Hi/Lo screws. I think the issue is a design flaw that allows dust/dirt and wood particles directly off of the chain to enter the air intake area. Its a head scratcher that I WILL get to the bottom of.
I do not deny the access from the outside of a saw to the adjusters- its just most have some form of ducting from the access holes to the adjuster screws- so dust cannot easily enter the air box via that route and the ducting helps guide the driver used for adjusting to the jet head.

scootertrash

Local time
Reaction score
I do not deny the access from the outside of a saw to the adjusters- its just most have some form of ducting from the access holes to the adjuster screws- so dust cannot easily enter the air box via that route and the ducting helps guide the driver used for adjusting to the jet head.
Well, this is a direct shot to the airbox. I dont have the saw in front of me(its in the shop), but I dont remember seeing anything that would hood the screws. . It appears to be wide open past the access hole. Its very evident that the bulk is entering those two access points, it shows on the cover over the filter and is evident where it is coming from.