Cuttin' Crooked

AJZanker

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS251C with a brand new bar and chain, 3rd time the chain has been filed with a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener then the gullet taken out hand filing. I have been filing chains for a while now so it's super sharp but as soon as I put it to wood it cuts to the far right and binds up, frustrating and also useless.
I'm at a loss for why it's doing it, like I said brand new bar (.325) brand new chain (.325) and nothing has changed with filing.
Even with small diameter wood it still twists and binds and then I end up walking away cussing.
I've had the saw for almost a year, never had this problem in my 10+ years using saws.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
You could dress up the old bar- make a silk purse from a sow's ear even, but if you want to eliminate the problem, alleviate near future problems and dress the old girl up a bit- go buy a new bar (probably new chain as the drive spur has possibly damaged drive links) and a new drive spur/sprocket.
Close up photos of the current chain drive links, bar rails and drive spur/sprocket will help diagnose.

Nutball

Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
The bar dressing files don't work well in my opinion because the rails easily get work hardened and heat tempered.
I knew someone who claimed his chain was sharp, but it wouldn't cut. The side of all the teeth on one side of the chain was dull. The top of the teeth were sharp, but the sides had slight damage.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
The bar dressing files don't work well in my opinion because the rails easily get work hardened and heat tempered.
I knew someone who claimed his chain was sharp, but it wouldn't cut. The side of all the teeth on one side of the chain was dull. The top of the teeth were sharp, but the sides had slight damage.

My number one suspect as well- but didn't want to offend anyone. :LOL:

Stump Shot

Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
Check the left and right cutters for uniformity, even an adjustable(Crescent) wrench will get the job done if no other means are available to measure the tooth length.
If they are off, using that 2 in 1 tool will cause the depth gauges to differ as well, compounding the problem, I would hazard to say.
I can say that I use one more file stroke on one side than the other to keep things relatively even myself.

CharlesMcElhaney12

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
To me, it looks like your bar is causing the problem. Usually when chainsaw cuts crooked, may be the bar is bent or not straight. Having a look at your chainsaw, it looks like bar rails are uneven. It ultimately leads to improper tension in the chain and causing chainsaw to cut crooked. It is better to replace your bar and try again.

Last edited: