Copy Stihl Chainsaw Problems (Chain to short?)

newdiyer0000

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got my order from a chinese website, and I ordered this cheap 25 dollar chainsaw, and i'm having a problem with fitting the saw chain that came with the chainsaw on the chain guide, please refer to the photo below. So my problem is, I cant seem to get the chain to wrap around the guide, am I doing this wrong, or did they send me the wrong saw chain size? Would appreciate any help. IMG_3344.jpg

newdiyer0000

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
and to clarify, when i put the chain guide on, there was little to no play at all going forward and backward, this was as far back as the chain guide could go, so i think there was a problem with the pairing of the chain and the guide (by the store)

Ronie

Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
If the rear sprocket matches the chain and it's on the rear sprocket correctly, then it looks like the chain is to short.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
File the adj hole 🕳 obround or add a link to the chain

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Quite possible that the good Lord is sending you a message- a subliminal warning that if you get this thing going, this will be only the first of your problems! :p

What happens if you take the clutch cover off and try to fit the bar and chain- then refit the cover and the bar stud nuts?
Photos of the chain sitting in the drive spur/sprocket and bar tail as close to the sprocket as possible.
Should fit then (chain on bar) but the adjuster pin may not line up with the hole in the bar- however you should be able to see by how much it does not line up and what needs to happen to make it work.
For $25 new, you cannot realistically hope for everything to be present and correct.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
For $25 you can’t even get a chicken and rice dinner nowadays! I’m leery of these Chinese “clone saws”, a chainsaw can put the hurt on you real bad. I’ve never built one but have seen videos where they do not last and the guy ends up putting on Oem crank,seals, gaskets, top ends etc to get it to work without grenading itself. Everyone wants to save a buck, I get it. Perhaps one wood be better served getting a real saw even though they are not cheep. Buy ONCE , cry ONCE

Oakie

Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Obviousely the wrong chain size, the bar should have markings, tell us what they are,
14 i15 or 16 inch bars are available, so there could easily have been a mix up.
Make sure you are well covered up with PPE when using a china saw,
who flung dung may have had a bad hair day when putting it together.

Very nice of them to send a Stihl Made in Germany bar with the 25 dollar saw,
if its real what did the rest of the saw cost.