Choosing the correct chainsaw chain

scilipoj

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for the correct chain for a Sears358.352670 chain saw. It's an old saw. I have one with a 14" bar. I have recently found out that this chainsaw was originally sold in three chain and bar lengths -14, -16 and -18 inches. I'm looking for a chain for the -16 version. Sears still sells the bar but says the 16" chain is no longer made and have no info on alternate chains. I'm looking at 16" chains but have seen chains with anywhere from 55 to 58 links. I don't have any info on what it originally used except for a sears part # for the discontinued chain (71-36516). Has anyone else had this problem? Does it even matter how many links I buy as long as it's a 16" chain? According to an outfit that did a repair on my chainsaw, it was built by Poulan.

Joe S,

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
So, you have a saw with a 14 inch bar and chain at the moment- have found or wish to go up to a 16 inch bar, but have no chain to compare?
If you have the new 16" bar in your possession- what numbers/information are etched near the bar tail/ stud mounting slot?
Photographs of the saw and the bar will be helpful.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
If it looks like this, but grey with a black top cover- it is basically a Poulan 3400 counter vibe and should be running standard 3/8" chain.
As such, you can get any bar with a D176 mount pattern and the chain to suit- a decent bar will have the information regarding chain pitch, gauge and drive link count stamped or etched into the face of the bar near the tail end.

1667430331312.png

RedneckChainsawRepair

Local time
Reaction score
2 saws use that model #. That # comes back to the little micro top handle saw right? If so. A041 mount and 16" will be picco using stihl nameor 3/8LP 050 56DL
Tons of that stuff out there and easy to get even at a walmart.

Look like this but in grey, red or etc?

Now if it is the newer red saw with rear handle with same number. I bet same b+c used.

p2000xx.jpg

scilipoj

Local time
Reaction score
The bar is on order and should come next week. I'll check the bar for markings and will reply again if i still have questions.
Thanks for the info.