Chainsaw Dyno?

Red97

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score

Made a short video of the dyno in operation. And the states getting it to where it is today.

huskihl

Local time
Reaction score
They left on account of the sausage-fest. Hi ya doin Kevy, STIHL making ported saws slower than stock? Now don’t get you’re panties all in a bunch , I’m just pullin your leg bro. I’d like to see what ya do with the 592xp, word is they can be made to run better than a built 395xp and that’s sayin something!
Be nice. Lol.

I like the 592. It’s a bigger 572 in looks and form. Stock, it’s already about 20% faster than a 390 in 26” sugar maple. I don’t have a 395 to run it against, but I videoed the same 390 ported and I’ll also run it against my ported 661 once I get the 592 done. Joe is gonna dyno it before and after porting so you’ll be able to see if my stuff is actually slower than stock

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
the 592xp looks like a winner on paper and in the wood. I’m sure I’ll get my paws on one in the near future and if it responds like a bigger 572xp then it’ll be Goodnite Irene. ..... 325BB239-8B10-48DC-B3C2-CA43799D0C63.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
I checked the listed hp from STIHL as 8.6hp for the stock 881. On your Dyno she ran 10.34hp or 1.74hp more than the STIHL given 8.6hp output. I know temp,humidity , elevation and a whole host of other factors come into play when doing this- do you get consistent results run after run? I think that’s a trick set-up but man that had to cost 5grand or more! It’s all about relative results though , as long as you get consistent measurements. I should send you my 064 , she’ll break 10hp on your Dyno no problem-0! Right now I’m limited to the “wood Dyno”

Red97

Local time
Reaction score
I checked the listed hp from STIHL as 8.6hp for the stock 881. On your Dyno she ran 10.34hp or 1.74hp more than the STIHL given 8.6hp output. I know temp,humidity , elevation and a whole host of other factors come into play when doing this- do you get consistent results run after run? I think that’s a trick set-up but man that had to cost 5grand or more! It’s all about relative results though , as long as you get consistent measurements. I should send you my 064 , she’ll break 10hp on your Dyno no problem-0! Right now I’m limited to the “wood Dyno”

Sure, send in the 064 in, would be interesting to see.

Some models are very close, and others are way of..

I wonder how much we rating has to be done for insurance/epa rating

Over 3-4 good runs they will be within 1-2% across 3 runs. Very repeatable setup.

Just like the 881 I ran a couple months ago was 10.13 hp. Vs this 10.3 that is 2% across 2 different saws and a month or so apart.

Yeh, I have close to 8k wrapped up into it, so I could get good repeatable data run after run. Have over 1100 pulls on this setup.

The older saws, 066/044 /395 are closer to the published numbers for some reason.

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
Do you have/be willing to share the results of the STIHL / Husqvarna pro line of saws? Just interested in seeing what your hp #’s are vs STIHL /Husqvarna factory hp #’s. For example the 462c is rated at 5.9hp and the 572xp is 5.8 from the respective companies.....8k is some serious coin no doubt , however it’s a tool that will give results with more precision than cutting in the wood. A guy could find the “perfect” muffler mod down to the .1hp + or - , then play around with the intake / bore carb/ larger carb / filter, K/N , Max flow , velocity stack green weenie etc etc and again achieve very precise results. I know I’ve been able to get 15-18% quicker cut times on the 462c with the stock barrel and around 27-33% with the barrel flow-ported. Not sure what the hp is but bmep says about 7.5-7.8

jasent

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Maybe. Just have to find one. Was focused on the more easy to get models.

No, not seen one of those yet.
I’ve been thinking about sending mine to ya. But it’s not stock so not really a fair comparison