California bans small gas-powered engines ... including chainsaws wtf

R&R

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
What's wrong with that, just use electric chainsaws. If they enjoy rolling black-outs, who am I to judge?

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
I am a Makita outdoor power equipment (chainsaw) dealer and service center (https://schneiderschainsaw.com/). I can tell you that this decision meant well but was not well thought out. It was also a major reason why Makita ceased their gas outdoor power equipment production. I have been in touch with my local state representatives and state senator and have explained that this law has damaged the outdoor power industry and that the battery technology is many years away if ever. I also pointed out that the modern gas chainsaws are far cleaner then those from the 1980s. I know this because I work on both. My local politicians are all Democrats, as am I, and they now support me on rejecting any such bill that could come up in Washington state this coming January. My recommendation to you is to talk to your local politicians and explain that at this point battery chainsaws in the larger sizes are fantasies. If you explain to them the problems gas versus battery chainsaws in a logical manner they should listen to you as mine did.

My company is not large enough to become a Husqvarna or Stihl dealer and have now applied to be an Efco dealer and import some high quality Chinese chainsaw models. I will maintain my Makita dealership and purchase their gas chainsaws as long as I can but when they are gone will be forced to sell battery chainsaws, string trimmers and flashlights. I can guarantee that my gross Makita sales will go down drastically when this happens. One of my fellow Makita outdoor power equipment dealers is now selling battery chainsaws, battery string trimmers and flashlights. His gross sales were larger than mine and is now a Husqvarna dealer and his Makita revenue has dropped by 90%.

J-K

Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
When it comes to batteries.
There should be heavy investment in reviewing old ideas that they didn't have technology for during Tesla and Edison's time AND development of Abundant Earth Element tech so we don't depend on a dwindling supply of Rare Earth Elements.
Honestly we need a Tesla and not a Musk or Bezos pretending they are the geniuses, but im off point now.

I'm hopeful that the intensions of the law were Good natured.
They definitely are getting the cart in front of the horse.

IMHO

Local time
Reaction score
Musk and Besos get their money off the backs of ten year old African boys that dropped out of school to work in unregulated mines. They work all day and turn in their rare earth minerals for five to ten cents on the dollar. All the money for these rare earth elements goes to the billionaires. Talk to your politicians. Many of them only hear a certain side of the argument. I know that mine did. Steve

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
I am a Makita outdoor power equipment (chainsaw) dealer and service center (https://schneiderschainsaw.com/). I can tell you that this decision meant well but was not well thought out. It was also a major reason why Makita ceased their gas outdoor power equipment production. I have been in touch with my local state representatives and state senator and have explained that this law has damaged the outdoor power industry and that the battery technology is many years away if ever. I also pointed out that the modern gas chainsaws are far cleaner then those from the 1980s. I know this because I work on both. My local politicians are all Democrats, as am I, and they now support me on rejecting any such bill that could come up in Washington state this coming January. My recommendation to you is to talk to your local politicians and explain that at this point battery chainsaws in the larger sizes are fantasies. If you explain to them the problems gas versus battery chainsaws in a logical manner they should listen to you as mine did.

My company is not large enough to become a Husqvarna or Stihl dealer and have now applied to be an Efco dealer and import some high quality Chinese chainsaw models. I will maintain my Makita dealership and purchase their gas chainsaws as long as I can but when they are gone will be forced to sell battery chainsaws, string trimmers and flashlights. I can guarantee that my gross Makita sales will go down drastically when this happens. One of my fellow Makita outdoor power equipment dealers is now selling battery chainsaws, battery string trimmers and flashlights. His gross sales were larger than mine and is now a Husqvarna dealer and his Makita revenue has dropped by 90%.
I would ensure some due diligence is in place prior to getting into bed with Efco bud ! They have the most cut throat business practices of any current manufacturer . They don't t back their distributors & cut their dealerships throats . The worst warranty policy on record in the world , people complain about Echo's 5 yr Residential saw warranty , you have a chance with an ethical Echo Dealer , almost all their saws come from the Manufacturer overly lean , I have retuned them for numerous customers . . However with Efco it's a no go , everything is operator error " you straight gassed it ! " Not a bad saw just terrible business plan from the top down , much like Solo unfortunately !

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
If your prudent , you will try to establish yourself with some form of relationship with Husquarna . Echo's party line via its distribution network is not much better than Efco . I have witnessed 1st hand Echo distributors hamstringing ethical dealerships on warranty work on numerous occasions . To the point that Commercial loggers will no longer utilize the Echo line up . Normally , Stihl benefits from such Echo deficiencies unfortunately .

Local time
Reaction score
I have tried to become a dealer with Husqvarna but they want $250,000.00 in sales each year. Stihl is the same. My company is new and still a startup. Both Stihl and Husqvarna have told me that my company is not large enough. Echo wanted a certain amount of display space and $20,000.00 in initial purchase but I am working out of my home until business grows enough to warrant building a store on my property. Makita liked my business plan and allowed me to become a dealer and then stopped making gas equipment. Therefore Efco was the only non-Chinese company available. They allowed me to become a dealer for them because of my Makita dealership. Because I work with smaller companies I have imported two brands of Chinese chainsaws NewTop and Hanakowa so that I can sell chainsaws larger than 79cc and they are ISO9001 companies but I have yet to test their one year warranty policies. The Chinese companies are begging for my business while Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo do not work with startup companies. I don't make the world but have to live in it. Thanks for your opinion.

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
Not opinion , but real world facts . I have two friends one a former Efco Dealer the 2nd an actual current Echo Dealer who barely is keeping his business liquid due to Echo's less than Stellar Distributor ethics & Manufacturer company line . All his former Commercial customers have left him accordingly ! So in short , good luck fella lol.

Local time
Reaction score
Helly Tyy, I will do what I can with what is available. I have dealt with an arrogant Echo rep on more than one occasion and am surprised about his attitude. American business history is full of arrogant companies that did not adapt and went out of business. I hope that this does not occur here.

Reactions: Tyy

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
Helly Tyy, I will do what I can with what is available. I have dealt with an arrogant Echo rep on more than one occasion and am surprised about his attitude. American business history is full of arrogant companies that did not adapt and went out of business. I hope that this does not occur here.
I sincerely wish you well within your endeavours !

Oakie

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
I have tried to become a dealer with Husqvarna but they want $250,000.00 in sales each year. Stihl is the same. My company is new and still a startup. Both Stihl and Husqvarna have told me that my company is not large enough. Echo wanted a certain amount of display space and $20,000.00 in initial purchase but I am working out of my home until business grows enough to warrant building a store on my property. Makita liked my business plan and allowed me to become a dealer and then stopped making gas equipment. Therefore Efco was the only non-Chinese company available. They allowed me to become a dealer for them because of my Makita dealership. Because I work with smaller companies I have imported two brands of Chinese chainsaws NewTop and Hanakowa so that I can sell chainsaws larger than 79cc and they are ISO9001 companies but I have yet to test their one year warranty policies. The Chinese companies are begging for my business while Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo do not work with startup companies. I don't make the world but have to live in it. Thanks for your opinion.
I would still suggest having nothing to do with Efco.
Remember I posted about a new saw that never went right, the dealer would not
take it back, or send me a part for it, even though it was broke from new and still
under warranty, the dealer just kept on ignore my emails.

I contacted Efco / Emak in Italy on the 13-06-2022 and on the 26-07-2022, (a month and a half later)
Emak in Italy emailed me stating the the local importer would be in contact with me very soon,
well that very soon turned out to be over a month later, and only because i wrote again to Emak
telling them that nothing would happen, as the importer was on the side of the dealer.

Anyway, the importer wanted the saw back, I told him I had to buy a saw, and that since then
so much time had passed waiting on Emk / Efco and himself / importer to contact me I just bought
a part and fixed it myself.

The importer then wanted to refund me for the part, if I would send him a receipt, well that was
impossible as Efco wanted so much for the part I had to buy secondhand, and no receipt was available.

I was then offered two chains for free, posted to my address, I forwarded my address to the importer
on the 09-09-2022, over two weeks has passed, no chains, not even a mail to say we got your details
and are working on this.

I am going to once again inform Emak in Italy of the importers failure to deliver, but hold out no hope
of getting anything off Emak, their importer or dealer.

I STRONGLY ADVISE KEEPING CLEAR OF EFCO / EMAK OR ANY BUSINESS THEY ARE INVOLVED IN.

• Wow
Reactions: Tyy

Oakie

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I have been promised that things will be different but I will be careful. Thanks, Steven
Well I was promised a warranty and got none, I was promised two free chains
for their fu**up and got none, and I emailed the boss in Italy again and got no
response.
You are in for a real headache with this lot, through the years Emak / Oleo Mac / Efco
have screwed their dealers and customers to no end, do more research.

And they are Chinese saw now, not Italian made.

Tyy

Local time
Reaction score
Well I was promised a warranty and got none, I was promised two free chains
for their fu**up and got none, and I emailed the boss in Italy again and got no
response.
You are in for a real headache with this lot, through the years Emak / Oleo Mac / Efco
have screwed their dealers and customers to no end, do more research.

And they are Chinese saw now, not Italian made.
Yeah , Steve has a real headache on his hands. I'm surprised he has not done more due diligence before contemplating putting his name & association within 100 yds of such non reputable individuals , makes one wonder ?