Been around chainsaws for a decade but some things I don't understand

smmmokin

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
Have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. Well my friend does but he's a nice person lol. For years I use it to cut firewood in the winter. His son bought some land and been cutting up deadfall, stuff thats been laying on the ground for 10 years as well and falling fresh trees.

I'm not going to say my numbers or what I go through. But I look on google and it says chains should last at least 5 years before they are replaced.

I do everything to try and not hit the ground but it happens. I'm not a professional. I'm just a guy cutting an entire semi truck of birch for the winter and cutting old trees laying on the ground trying to clear a property of all trees.

What makes no sense is how much the chain stretches. How can a chain possibly last 5 years or more?

Always grease the end of the bar. Always keep chain bar oil topped up. Always take the clutch cover off and brush out any build up. Every now and then use air to really blow it clean. Every fill up unless all cuts were perfect I always run the sharpener over each blade a few times.

What are your experiences? If you were me how long would a chain last you? Dying to know.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Well, if a saw sits on a shelf in a garage for 364 days of each of those five years and does an hour or two's cutting for that other day of each of those years- it might last five years!
Heck I can run in conditions where I might wear a chain out in five days, sometimes 5 weeks and if not used often- maybe five months- but the only ones that last five years around here have been hanging on a hook as spare loops in the garage for at least four years first!

Chains do not "stretch" as such, they wear at each of the holes the rivets that hold it all together go through- the holes elongate and the total tight length becomes longer. Grit from wind blown dust, chains a bit tight, oil a bit light, chains a bit dull, heat- all combine to wear a chain.
A lot comes down to chain quality as well. Quality is usually reflected in price- budget chains tend to be a bit softer, wear sooner and so "stretch" more readily.
You are doing nothing wrong or incorrect as such- the internet facts are not always exactly factual and your individual demands, conditions and timber species will all have an effect on chain life spans.

smmmokin

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
Well, if a saw sits on a shelf in a garage for 364 days of each of those five years and does an hour or two's cutting for that other day of each of those years- it might last five years!
Heck I can run in conditions where I might wear a chain out in five days, sometimes 5 weeks and if not used often- maybe five months- but the only ones that last five years around here have been hanging on a hook as spare loops in the garage for at least four years first!

Chains do not "stretch" as such, they wear at each of the holes the rivets that hold it all together go through- the holes elongate and the total tight length becomes longer. Grit from wind blown dust, chains a bit tight, oil a bit light, chains a bit dull, heat- all combine to wear a chain.
A lot comes down to chain quality as well. Quality is usually reflected in price- budget chains tend to be a bit softer, wear sooner and so "stretch" more readily.
You are doing nothing wrong or incorrect as such- the internet facts are not always exactly factual and your individual demands, conditions and timber species will all have an effect on chain life spans.
Sorry for such a late reply. Read your message just after you sent it but I've been busy.

I always figured what you said is how it is but I had some thoughts, hop on google and like you say it's saws used for an hour twice a year.

Sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share. The explanation on chains that "stretch" is new to me.

You are awesome and I thank you for taking the time to share that information. Sincerely.

Cskyline

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Where I live the type of wood you cut has a big factor as to how many times the chain has to be sharpened which also determines chain life as well as the other factors mentioned.