500i Air Filtering deficiency

• Thread starter BayouCountryPowerSaws
  • Start date
B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

I see a lot of evidence to show that the 500i only does a mediocre job at filtering out fines. Similar to most stihls in that respect. These are pictures I pulled off of Facebook showing the results of milling with a low hour 500i for a "day" (no amount of hours was given).

You can see by the texture, that what you are looking at are fines that have bypassed the filter system and have clogged up the bottom end and rings of the saw. You can see the severe blow by that was happening as the bore expanded from the extra heat from milling and the fines preventing the rings from seating properly, which I am sure was only exacerbated by the stock muffler as one can observe exhaust staining also in the upper transfers.

If you own one and notice this issue, you may want to look at aftermarket options for filtration.
Screenshot_20210909-153134_Facebook.jpg FB_IMG_1631219452302.jpg FB_IMG_1631219462392.jpg FB_IMG_1631219473056.jpg

Andrew Scott

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Yikes😬! Hotsaws101 just did a YT vid on Maxflows aftermarket filter, I think they're available for pre-order currently. I guess milling is the ultimate test for a saw's filtration system.....wow, "epic fail" as the kids say

Labfab

Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
No air injection on the 500i makes them subject to these kinds of failures more often than other models. There are some pretty good options for aftermarket solutions though, the ones I've seen so far are out of australia as this problem is likely more prevalent there given the nature of the species they primarily cut.

Fabz

Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
Not fond of the twist-lock air filter system in the Stihls. A bit of grease around the lip helps but eventually the plastic “finger” will wear and let fines go thru resulting in premature wear as shown in the pics above. I machine an aluminum adapter or intake and use a k/n oiled filter with an outerwears attached. The max-flow is also an excellent system but N/A for the smaller Stihls (241,261,362 etc. Fines will Kill a saw prematurely, no doubt