281XP?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
Went on a wee road trip yesterday, to pick up what was described to me as a one owner 281XP, wearing a 20" bar 3/8 chain- only known fault was a broken brake flag.
About a 45 minute drive over the next province, I arrived to find a Gentleman that has been retired from forestry for three years- after 50 years in the game, the owner of the 281 that is now deemed too heavy for the owner to use and had been replaced by a smaller more modern Stihl.
First impressions- VERY tidy saw. First glance shows the 300 year anniversary badge, so an '89 model, looking closer, the old 3 point dog on the inside, more modern 4 point on the outer. Says XP on the top cover, small square 281XP on the recoil- but the case tag is silver and says 181SE.

Who cares, it is tidy, it runs and it is an 80cc Husqvarna with a proven reputation, be it 181-281 or whatever- all parts are genuine, if not the same model.
Asking price was $150 of our dollars, roughly US$100- which I gladly hand over. Then the owner says it comes with some spare chains- 6 of them!
After talking some more about saws and forestry back in the day, turns out we know and have worked with some of the same people over the years and then he turns and heads to another part of the workshop, says he found this while cleaning up the day before and if I can use it I can have it- an almost complete 266XP.

So, it was a happy drive home, instead of one saw for a bargain sitting in the back of the truck, there were two.
That old 181/281 though, helps you appreciate the decomp on the 288's! image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg
View attachment Video.mov

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Upon deeper digging into the 281/181 I have discovered the internals are from an early 181SE thin double ring saw with the tighter combustion chamber- the saw model released in 1982 and at the time the best power to weight saw for another 4 years when Stihl released the 064 to compete.
It has some small cosmetic issues that have been taken care of and a new brake flag has been ordered.
The 266 looked more of a basket case- but pulling the cylinder revealed the piston to not be as bad as first suspected- cleaned it up, freed the ring, put it back together- tonnes of compression and runs- but is suffering an air leak somewhere, crank seals or intake block is my best guess.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Those 181 cylinders were awesome!!!!
266 probably the seal under the flywheel

Yep- they are awesome- but no more thin rings or pistons sitting on dealer shelves now and you do not want to "update" one of these with a modern single thick ring piston, unless you have good health insurance. o_O

I am thinking the 266 is certainly leaking at o-rings and/or seals- because replacing the missing cylinder bolt and doing up the finger tight intake bolts improved things a little- but not a lot! :p
Have a look at the penultimate photo in first post- see the discoloured top cover side under the wrap handle- that was my first hint there might be a bit of leakage on that side..... missing cylinder bolt.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Those 181 cylinders were awesome!!!!
266 probably the seal under the flywheel

Amongst other things, the 266 got a new oil seal under the flywheel.
Piston and ring were a wee bit marred- but were cleaned up and put back to service.
Old style muffler from something similar in the family, had to drill it out to take 6mm bolts as the mount holes on the cylinder were flogged out.
Inner spike off a similar family member and it ended up a surprisingly good runner.
Someone (perhaps in an attempt to "repair" the air leak) used loctite on the 4mm fixings for the oil pump and the flywheel seal housing. :mad:

Now all I have to do is secure a clutch cover for it with a functional brake- have half a dozen covers, most for the old metal flag brake- but they have all been robbed for brake parts.

jasent

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
It starts easy but you do have to be Committed to it. No cold ,drop starts
I did put a larger handle on it not cause it was needed but was missing. Run what ya brung kinda thing 😂
Tiny little combustion chamber! Like a ping pong ball

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
It starts easy but you do have to be Committed to it. No cold ,drop starts
I did put a larger handle on it not cause it was needed but was missing. Run what ya brung kinda thing 😂
Tiny little combustion chamber! Like a ping pong ball

The 181,281 and early 288 had a horrid little starter handle- the later 288 handle was better- but the Stihl Elastostart large saw one is better yet! ;)