066/660 Crank Case

Harold-Sachs

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with offshore crank cases, and willing to offer up any insight?

Harold-Sachs

Local time
Reaction score
I’m just looking for a pto side replacement, just picked up a “parts” saw that’s completely fine other than the fact that the bearing pockets are mangled.

Nutball

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
I think it best to use 2 aftermarket halves sold together, otherwise stick with OEM. I just wouldn't want there to be any misalignment on the machined surfaces between to different case halves. If one bearing pocket was mangled, could the other have been stressed? My farmertec 660 is still going, but only 50ish tanks run through it I'd guess if even that many. Who knows, maybe 100 being the gas guzzler it is.

You just have to make sure to thoroughly clean any metal dust and grit off the new halves if they are cheap aftermarket, and smooth any sharp edges that contact things like the oil line.

Harold-Sachs

Local time
Reaction score
Ya I would definitely just swap out for the new cases… does the farmertech machining seem fine as far as cases?

jasent

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Both mine looked great. Everything lined up as it should. Machining looked good. Fit and finish. Other than numbers it looks stock

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Ya I would definitely just swap out for the new cases… does the farmertech machining seem fine as far as cases?

Not that I have ever used a set- but you used to hear horror stories of crank lobes contacting the case, iffy bearing pockets- but I think that might have all been in the past and their quality control may have come up somewhat.
If you are trying to match OEM halves- make sure you know if you are starting with a set of short 066 cases or later long 066/660 cases. Basically the difference was a larger oil tank in the long cases.

Harold-Sachs

Local time
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the feed back! As far as bearings I think I’ll just be going oem.