026 build

Nutball

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
I went back and looked at that first cyl I ever ported (vostore 026) and I think it is a different cylinder than what you have. I did hog the lowers on it. You might try it both ways, one with JB, then again hogged out toward the exhaust side and base only, so you know what works best on the OEM cylinders.

EDIT: I see you already worked the lowers. You could always refill with JB, then hog it out more after the filled test. It would be interesting to know how noticeable the difference is.

Attachments

• DSC00008 (800x475).jpg
    DSC00008 (800x475).jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00009 (800x475).jpg
    DSC00009 (800x475).jpg
    309 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00010 (1024x620).jpg
    DSC00010 (1024x620).jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 7

Ronie

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
I went back and looked at that first cyl I ever ported (vostore 026) and I think it is a different cylinder than what you have. I did hog the lowers on it. You might try it both ways, one with JB, then again hogged out toward the exhaust side and base only, so you know what works best on the OEM cylinders.

EDIT: I see you already worked the lowers. You could always refill with JB, then hog it out more after the filled test. It would be interesting to know how noticeable the difference is.
I really don't think there will be much of a difference in power between filling that little lip and grinding it off. I've hogged out the lowers on a few cylinders and I've come to the conclusion that taking out as little as possible to smooth them out seems to work best for me. When I do the OEM cylinder I might fill it and if I don't like it I can always go back in and grind that lip down.

Iroczu

Local time
Reaction score
I really don't think there will be much of a difference in power between filling that little lip and grinding it off. I've hogged out the lowers on a few cylinders and I've come to the conclusion that taking out as little as possible to smooth them out seems to work best for me. When I do the OEM cylinder I might fill it and if I don't like it I can always go back in and grind that lip down.
Ya I've tried a couple different things to lowers like enlarging width, and funneling the air flow and directing flow to in theory help with sweeping the piston dome with more pressure, kept the transfer same width and going towards and nearly to the base. Just have to be careful unless you want more case volume. This new to me 026 I just got going to try some different ideas, the current ported 026 is getting boxed up and a road trip to the states

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to try a 361 carb on it and see how it does. I've got the air box roughed in, changed covers on the carb, throttle rod, fuel and impulse figured out, everything works like it should.

Attachments

• KIMG2618.JPG
    KIMG2618.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG2621.JPG
    KIMG2621.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG2617.JPG
    KIMG2617.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG2616.JPG
    KIMG2616.JPG
    840.7 KB · Views: 1

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
Just trying it out with the stock carb, I'm waiting on an 039 carb. Just a quick tune, I'm having problems on the low side so I had to turn the idle up. Surprisingly the AM cylinder did pretty good, good torque and kept the RPMs up in the cut.

Iroczu

Local time
Reaction score
The area in white, if you take the roundness out but don't go too thin it'll also help flow a bit, what did you all do to your uppers? Maybe tomorrow if weather is decent I have some testing and videos to take running the 18 inch with 325 again and compare stock vs ported 026 head to head. I left the uppers alone and didn't go as far in the exhaust. Have you also opened the muffler any more then in the early posts when you started this

Attachments

• KIMG2614.JPG
    KIMG2614.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 3

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
The area in white, if you take the roundness out but don't go too thin it'll also help flow a bit, what did you all do to your uppers? Maybe tomorrow if weather is decent I have some testing and videos to take running the 18 inch with 325 again and compare stock vs ported 026 head to head. I left the uppers alone and didn't go as far in the exhaust. Have you also opened the muffler any more then in the early posts when you started this
I don't remember what they were to start with but I raised the uppers to 122 to give me 20 degrees blowdown. The mufflers the same in the video as it was in the pics, the inside hole behind the deflector is about a 1"x3/4" rectangle. I just got an 044 boot and put it on with a little Hondabond between the rubber and flange, it's to big and I want to make sure I don't end up with a leak. Once that cures, I've got an 039 carb to try on it. I'll probably put it back together tomorrow afternoon and give it a try.

Last edited:

Iroczu

Local time
Reaction score
I don't remember what they were to start with but I raised the uppers to 122 to give me 20 degrees blowdown. The mufflers the same in the video as it was in the pics, the inside hole behind the deflector is about a 1"x3/4" rectangle. I just got an 044 boot and put it on with a little Hondabond between the rubber and flange, it's to big and I want to make sure I don't end up with a leak. Once that cures, I've got an 039 carb to try on it. I'll probably put it back together tomorrow afternoon and give it a try.
That'll be a interesting thing, I was looking at doing a 044 carb but... issue was seeing how others done their swaps and rather not mangle a filter cover to keep stock look. Had some other ideas I may pursue at a later date but pretty happy with a stock carb so far, was reading other folk doing 044 carb had tuning issues at idle but would rock in the rpm. I use my saw for actual work though not cookie cutting. If you have another muffler kicking round maybe try opening it up more, I would have to pull mine to take measurements but it's a different style then yours but the area you cut I opened that recessed area the whole width and height, didn't base it of the mathematical way though just hogged it out after porting it and noticed gains for that too. How is yours pulling in the low end grunt? Just comparing other folks findings comparing how mine is acting, low end torque isn't there like a stock unit but mid and high rpm it pulls especially with the 18 and 325 chain, 24 it pulls good too but you have to let the rpm and feed rate work in harmony compared to the shorter bar and smaller cutter. Working on my husky 162se atm before I get to ripping the next 026 down

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
The area of a 1"x3/4" rectangle, .75" is a little bit less than a 1" pipe, .78" so it should be good. It had great low end torque for what it is, the last cut in the video I'm trying to bog it down and I'm putting a lot of pressure on it and it slowed down but kept on going. I not expecting it to run with a ported 346 but I'd say it compares to my ported closed port 51/55 or my Partner 500 with a ported closed port 55 cylinder.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
Working on my husky 162se atm before I get to ripping the next 026 down
Does it have the original closed port cylinder, I think they came with a closed port? If not I've got one that I'll never use.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
I tried the 039 carb and couldn't get it to start so I put an 044 carb on it just until I put a kit in the in the 039 carb, It looks promising, one turn out on the on the screws and it started right up. I'll get it back together in a bit and give it a try.

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
Got a quick tune and some cuts on video. Just a couple of things to work out but it's pretty much done until I get on the OEM cylinder.

Iroczu

Local time
Reaction score
Does it have the original closed port cylinder, I think they came with a closed port? If not I've got one that I'll never use.
The 162se is closed port yes, I'll be waiting a bit, sent the cylinder out to get the base cut when the fellow has time. I have been back into the 026 raised the exhaust groove from 97 to 94 and for some reason it didn't change a thing with rpm, did some piston cleaning and window opening which was a mistake it lost its mid and high rpm torque. Swapped out pistons for a stocker and it's back. I went from 180ish psi to raising exhaust and opening piston windows dropped to 140ish swapped positions back up to 160ish. So one thing I learnt these little buggers don't have enough stroke and case volumes to support opening the windows and helping flow by working the piston. Leave stock clean castings and just use it as it.
Hows yours doing? Iran a 28 full comp on the weekend had a couple slabs to cut and the normal 24inch wasn't long enough for single passes

Ronie

Local time
Reaction score
The 162se is closed port yes, I'll be waiting a bit, sent the cylinder out to get the base cut when the fellow has time. I have been back into the 026 raised the exhaust groove from 97 to 94 and for some reason it didn't change a thing with rpm, did some piston cleaning and window opening which was a mistake it lost its mid and high rpm torque. Swapped out pistons for a stocker and it's back. I went from 180ish psi to raising exhaust and opening piston windows dropped to 140ish swapped positions back up to 160ish. So one thing I learnt these little buggers don't have enough stroke and case volumes to support opening the windows and helping flow by working the piston. Leave stock clean castings and just use it as it.
Hows yours doing? Iran a 28 full comp on the weekend had a couple slabs to cut and the normal 24inch wasn't long enough for single passes
I havn't ran it since I made the video and I ended up pulling the carb off for another saw. After I finish up with the two saws I'm working on I'll get back to it and see how it does with an ported OEM cylinder.