The art and/or science of sharpening chains.

Dalton

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I am new at sharpening chains and I am tired of buying new chains just because I do not know how to sharpen a dull chain.
Is there any way I could get some pointers on the basic, tried and true method of sharpening a chain? Method used by highly experienced chain saw people.

Thanks, Dalton

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
If just starting out= one of those 2 in 1 things with the flat and round file to suit the chain you use are not too bad.
Compared to freehand filing from the get go they are a lot better- but once you get the hang of freehand filing- they are not so good.
If you have a few chains you have put aside because they are blunt- start filing these- either with a 2-1 or freehand filing, buy a box of a dozen files that suit your chain size and start filing chain teeth away- dont get too hung up on angles or each cutter having to be identical- just concentrate on approximate angles and getting each cutter sharp.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Safest way I have found to hold the chain in place while filing is on the bar still mounted on the saw- do the adjuster up good and tight, clamp the saws bar in a good bench mounted vice and start filing from there- keeps the chain and saw rigid so you are the only variable.

MadKaw

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Ask 5 people who sharpen chains and you'll get 6 or 7 recommendations. Everything (almost) works and it comes down to personal preference.
Project Farm did a fairly complete video on the subject:
Note that some have a quicker learning curve; others may take a while to get excellent results.

Fabz

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Dalton hi ! The 2 in 1 file system from Pferd or STIHL will give satisfactory to excellent results depending on your skill. I’d remove the center file and set the rakers with a conventional gage though - seems like the tool may take off too much material off the rakers ( leading to an overly aggressive/ dangerous chain) IF you are heavy handed.