Stihl 460 stops after each cut

Jamie642

Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
Hi, New to forum, but have used it many times to answer chainsaw questions. My stihl 460 starts right up, makes a few cuts, gets up to running temp and then dies after each cut. I make a cut, go to make another cut, pull the throttle and it dies. It starts right back up on the first pull, and then, on after making a cut, it dies again. This happen 20 times today. Was hoping someone might know what to check. Thank you.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Failing some kind of throttle linkage rubbing on the kill wire and earthing out on contact- my guess would be some kind of fuel puddling and on the H circuit activation the combustion chamber get a dump of liquid fuel, not vapour and floods the saw out.
Or it is staving for fuel on the H circuit.

Have you had things apart lately? Not had the carb out by chance? You can pinch the fuel line putting the carb back in place- will supply enough fuel to idle and run on the L circuit, but open the throttle and it starves.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
Have you tried tuning it?
/\
This.
If the relationship between the Lo speed and the Idle speed is off this can happen. It's when the throttle plate is closed off too tight and the Lo leaned out to compensate for the correct idle speed so as it does not have enough air to handle the sudden transition from wot to idle and stalls.
To correct, open up the throttle and enrich the Lo speed circuit.