Stihl 026 Hard to Start

fikey

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
My 026 is old and I am deciding whether or not to give it a proper burial. It has been an unbelievably good/reliable saw. Recently, I have had a harder and harder time starting it. Once started, it still runs fine. Used to start in 3-4 pulls, even when not used for an extended time. Now, it seems I have to pull it 20+ times to start it. I have given in to using a squirt of ether and I can start it in 2-4 pulls. Am I missing something mechanically that has made this change?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
Ether is a bad thing for two strokes- starting on that is a "dry" start and is basically the same as starting on straight gas- no oil and so no lubrication.

Could be one of several things- weak fuel delivery- lowering compression from wear- or an air leak.
Sounds like it might be time for a general refresh- new OEM fuel lines, filters, impulse lines, new proper spark plug, carb clean and new kit fitted.
Maybe a pressure and vacuum test to check for air leaks, compression test with the correct small engine tester and muffler off to inspect the front face of the piston.

fikey

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I believe the saw is 30+ years old. Rather than put that much in to it, ether it is until she blows!