spike orientation

Dougl

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Hi Folks -

Somewhat naive chainsaw user here, so excuse my, er, naivite. I've had an electric Poulan 3516F saw for a few years, and it performs very well. In using it today, I just noticed that the bumper spike is sharply angled toward the guide bar/chain. Now, in this orientation of the spike, I'm not sure how well it will grab the wood. My question is, is it supposed to be this way, or is it supposed to be angled more straight out? I really can't remember what it used to look like. See attached picture.

To the extent that isn't supposed to be angled like this, how do I fix?

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

IMG_0241.JPG

MadKaw

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
That is not right. The dogs (spiky things) are supposed to be parallel to the bar. If you take the side cover off and remove the bar and chain, you can determine how the dogs are attached. They may be held on by screws. However they are attached, remove them. You may be able to straighten them.
It is also feasible to operate without the dogs.
I do not know if replacement parts are available.

Dougl

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you. Thought so. I realize now that the access to them is behind the bar and chain, so I will do that. I believe the spikes are just held on with a couple of screws. I'm not sure how they got bent, as I really don't remember dropping the saw. I'm wondering if the mounting screws have just come loose. And yes, I continued to use the saw successfully, I looked around for replacements, and was not able to find them online. I asked Poulan, and they said that they did not have a record of any source, and told me to ask at a local service center. That seems pretty odd, as I understand that these spikes get dull with time, and people replace them routinely. And yes, that's a good point that if they are bent, I might be able to straighten them.

Dougl

Local time
Reaction score
OK, I took the chain off and pulled the bar. Holy moley. There is a slot behind the bar, and the spike plate just pulled right out of the slot. Completely free. Just dangling in there. If there were screws, it somehow left them behind. Or maybe they just got loose and fell out??? I am suspecting that the plate was just held in on posts back in that slot, and it somehow just slipped off the posts. Looks like a more major disassembly is going to be required to get in to those posts and or screw holes. This is beginning to look like a design fault.

MadKaw

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
The purpose of the dogs is to help the operator get the saw to dig in and efficiently use the power of the saw to cut without having to use as much muscle. Good dogs also help the operator keep the cut straight.
Some well known and respected manufacturers either use plastic dogs or no dogs at all on their consumer grade saws. If you can't get them reinstalled securely, don't feel bad about removing them. If they are not secure, it could be dangerous to leave them in. You don't want the chain catching on them.

Dougl

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, that is understood. I have a job to finish today where I won't miss them. They are handy on large logs. But certainly, having a loose set of spikes (I mean, there was NOTHING holding them in) is very dangerous close to a chain. They could get flung disasterously. I am still baffled why it doesn't look as if they were ever screwed in. The holes in them are quite clean, suggesting there wasn't even any glue holding them down. I appreciate your wisdom.